Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 04:38 PM

Ladies who golf

Are there any ladies on here who play golf??? I am looking for a new "hobby" and considering golf.....is there such a thing as a ladies golf set or are they "multi genderish" or do I just get a beginners set? are they "male/felmale" sets...
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 06:18 PM
I started playing about two years ago. I haven't picked my clubs up for about 6 months though as Monty takes up most my time these day!

I have a ladies set of golf clubs as well. They are made my Wilson and are the Firestick range, not sure if they still make them but just google ladies golf clubs and you'll get loads of results. I only paid about £150 so not huge amounts.

Don't need a beginners set, just get yourself down the driving range for a few lessons and away you go!

I'm not the best player but i can hit a ball straight consistently which is always a bonus! I started off playing short courses that are no more than a par 3 on each hole then OH started taking me round the long courses on days where it would be quieter.

Like i said not played for ages though and your thread has made me want to go for a game!!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks will book a free taster session at the local council course.....you get a lesson from the golf pro and free use of clubs balls etc....
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Thats a good idea, least you'll know whether you could definitely get into it then!! It's not the cheapest of hobbies, just ask my OH!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 08:33 PM
I play golf (well I did, not so much time to play since we had stumpy).

There are so many different sets of golf clubs it isn't true.

I would start out with a cheap set of graphite shafts. In fact, places like Sport & Soccer (or whatever they are called now) do reasonably price beginners sets. you get what you pay for, but until you know that you are going to stick with it, there is no point in paying more.

I actually have my first set of ladies clubs in the garage - you are welcome to them if I can work out how to get them to you. I probably also have a spare bag (and even probably spare shoes if you are a size 6).

The best advice I can give for your first session is don't try to get the ball in the air. If you ever played hockey, pretend its a hockey ball and just try to hit it along the ground..the loft of the club will get it air borne. When you try to 'lift' the ball, chances are you'll probably miss it altogether (as I have done frequently in my earlier years and even still do now when I get too enthusiastic)!

It is a very addictive game. Some clubs will let you take dogs round with you...unfortunately for me - Hoki is fascinated with the golf club and stands in front of you (waiting to get her brains knocked out) and Stumpy is terrified of the swish noise and runs a mile.

Do let me know how you get on and if you are interested enough to want the clubs, we'll try and work something out.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Blimey, i didn't know that some courses allow dogs? Any idea's how i'd go about finding out which ones do?
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 09:07 PM
I love golf, but have not played for a couple of years now, as my frozen shoulder put paid to that!!

Ladies clubs are generally shorter, mine are sitting in the garage
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Blimey, i didn't know that some courses allow dogs? Any idea's how i'd go about finding out which ones do?
I think its more common up here in Scotland than in England..trying to think whether I've ever seen one in England.

Not sure how you would find out - most of the courses don't advertise the fact - its more that if you're a member, you just do it and providing the dog is not a nuisance, you're fine. When I get a chance I'll see if I can find out how you would find out.

The course I'm a member of (and which I live pretty much on top of) doesn't allow dogs, but the two courses either side (3 miles away in each direction) do allow dogs.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2009, 05:32 AM
I love golf and also used to play until all my aches and pains stopped me (not caused by golf). I never used a ladies set as I found them too short, and I am (was) quite strong so the standard set was fine for me.

Baz still plays now and again - he's sh*t hot....