Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Puppy lover 21
New Member!
Male 

28-09-2007, 11:37 AM

How do you train puppies not to bite?

How do you train puppies not to bite?

If my puppy bite i say "no bad dog" and i walk away, is that a good idea?
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 11:46 AM
It's partly right and partly wrong. People will have different views on this. Puppies will mouth when they are young especially when they are excited and you are playing with them. I prefer to teach bite inhibition first and teaching what's acceptable and what's not.

This link is useful,
http://www.understandinganimals.com/article/1
As for the squealing thing, I used it on one of my dogs and it worked a treat, as a simple no didn't work. I think it's important to teach this early, I don't think for one second your dog is delibrately biting you but when those baby teeth get replaced with adult teeth, it's going to bloomin hurt. You want to teach the pup what is acceptable and yes ignoring a dog during training does the trick in many cases, turn your back, don't walk away and leave the room though. Be positive, do this training while your playing with the pup and you'll get quicker results
Hope this helps, I can only speak on what I've always done but I'm sure others will post some useful info too.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi puppy lover you have my sympathies, my puppy Millie is going through the biting everything stage at the moment.. and yes I would say you are partly doing the correct thing already.

Biting is normal behaviour in puppies, if a puppy doesn't bite there is something wrong with it . Puppies bite for a number of reasons, to explore the world around them (as a baby uses its hands)/during play/and when teething.

Play biting is best curbed and channelled in the right direction when the puppy is small, it should be encouraged to bite ever more gently until no pressure is exerted at all . The best way to do this is to teach 'bite inhibition' so that as the puppy grows up and develops powerful jaws, should it bite for any reason (like if it is in in pain/at the vets being treated /gets accidentally hurt)it will have been taught never to sink its teeth into soft human skin. Bite inhibition, learning to developer a 'soft mouth' is one of the most important lessons you can teach your puppy.Teaching a puppy bite inhibition takes time and patience and won't be achieved in just a few days also everyone in the household needs to adopt the same approach.

Here is a link to teaching bite inhibition though I see Megan has already posted one ..
click here

One thing I don't think is stressed enough in the links is how important it is to give your puppy 'feedback' and to praise it when it is doing the right thing, by this I mean lots of quiet praise (not to enthusiastic or you will get your puppy over excited and this will encourage the biting) ..
So the puppy nips..you say ouch and remove your hand, you offer your hand again and the puppy nuzzles your hand and licks you, you then say 'good puppy gentle puppy' and give lots of strokes so it learns what is 'required behaviour'.

I think my present puppy is the most 'bitey' puppy I have ever had but we are getting there slowly..
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi puppy lover you have my sympathies, my puppy Millie is going through the biting everything stage at the moment.. and yes I would say you are partly doing the correct thing already.

Biting is normal behaviour in puppies, if a puppy doesn't bite there is something wrong with it . Puppies bite for a number of reasons, to explore the world around them (as a baby uses its hands)/during play/and when teething.

Play biting is best curbed and channelled in the right direction when the puppy is small, it should be encouraged to bite ever more gently until no pressure is exerted at all . The best way to do this is to teach 'bite inhibition' so that as the puppy grows up and develops powerful jaws, should it bite for any reason (like if it is in in pain/at the vets being treated /gets accidentally hurt)it will have been taught never to sink its teeth into soft human skin. Bite inhibition, learning to developer a 'soft mouth' is one of the most important lessons you can teach your puppy.Teaching a puppy bite inhibition takes time and patience and won't be achieved in just a few days also everyone in the household needs to adopt the same approach.

Here is a link to teaching bite inhibition though I see Megan has already posted one ..
click here

One thing I don't think is stressed enough in the links is how important it is to give your puppy 'feedback' and to praise it when it is doing the right thing, by this I mean lots of quiet praise (not to enthusiastic or you will get your puppy over excited and this will encourage the biting) ..
So the puppy nips..you say ouch and remove your hand, you offer your hand again and the puppy nuzzles your hand and licks you, you then say 'good puppy gentle puppy' and give lots of strokes so it learns what is 'required behaviour'.

I think my present puppy is the most 'bitey' puppy I have ever had but we are getting there slowly..
Well said, particularly the last paragraph on praising
Puppy lover 21
New Member!
Male 

04-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the info