Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-08-2011, 09:48 AM

Milk Thistle for liver support

I am giving Pereg Milk Thistle [as well as SAMe] for liver support due to her being on Pb.

The Milk Thistle I have been buying as seeds and grinding them to mix with her food, but my coffee grinder [which I use for various seeds] has broken [I dropped it ] and my small wet/dry herb grinder only has a small capacity.

As I am not sure when I will be able to replace the coffee grinder and as I have a bottle of 150mg Milk Thistle caps [Standardized Sylmarin Extract 30:1] which I can open to sprinkle on her food instead of the powdered seed, what would be the amount I should give her, and should I give it once or twice a day?

The bottle says that the dose for a human is one capsule/day but I cannot remember the amount a dog should have. Pereg weighs ~19-20 kilos.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I am giving Pereg Milk Thistle [as well as SAMe] for liver support due to her being on Pb.

The Milk Thistle I have been buying as seeds and grinding them to mix with her food, but my coffee grinder [which I use for various seeds] has broken [I dropped it ] and my small wet/dry herb grinder only has a small capacity.

As I am not sure when I will be able to replace the coffee grinder and as I have a bottle of 150mg Milk Thistle caps [Standardized Sylmarin Extract 30:1] which I can open to sprinkle on her food instead of the powdered seed, what would be the amount I should give her, and should I give it once or twice a day?

The bottle says that the dose for a human is one capsule/day but I cannot remember the amount a dog should have. Pereg weighs ~19-20 kilos.

Is there any reason you do not just give the capsule whole rather than open it?

Apart from stomach upsets and diarrhoea there is not much MT can do to a bod, if giving the capsules then for her weight I would give one every other day.

The capsules can be better as they will have a standardisd sylmarin conent.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

24-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Is there any reason you do not just give the capsule whole rather than open it?
No reason - she is great at taking pills now - I just did not think of giving her the whole capsule - Pereg reacts to "come and get your medicine" by sitting and asking for it! I think she thinks that "medicine" is a treat, totally different from her real little treats which she knows as "sweeties".

Apart from stomach upsets and diarrhoea there is not much MT can do to a bod, if giving the capsules then for her weight I would give one every other day.
She has never shown any reaction to MT so far, with no stomach upsets or diarrhoea. The Brand of whole MT seeds is Frontier National Products, stated as being 100% Silbum Marianum. The capsules are Jarrow Formulas brand and the SAMe is Now Foods. All bought from iHerb in the US, as are all my vitamin/mineral supplements. All human quality which is useful as I give Pereg the same Omega 3 Fish oil, Vitamin E and Garlic gelcaps as I take! I get the Taurine powder for her from them as well.

The capsules can be better as they will have a standardisd sylmarin conent.
Noted and will give her one capsule every other day. Thank you for your very helpful advice.

I really am most grateful. Thank you.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 01:21 PM
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...lk_thistle.htm

There is some information on there with suggested dosages.

Anyone use milk thistle for AIHA/IMHA? I've been reading that its a good thing to give but my vet didn't seem keen on him having supplements
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

24-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I thought I had that dosage chart saved but could not find it, hence asking here, so thank you for posting it.

The dosage they show concurs with what SB said about giving Pereg one capsule every other day.

I am lucky in that my Vet is quite happy for me to give Pereg supplements, as long as he knows what I give her. His view is that maybe they will help but even if they do not help they will not do her any harm.