View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
consuelo_pg
New Member!

27-01-2005, 04:43 PM

4 months Foster parents

Hi, My name is Cons and I have a very handsome black labrador, me and my boyfriend love him a lot and for this reason we havn't been able to go on holidays together for a long time. One of us has to stay here to look after him.
More than one year ago we went to Mexico and we put him in a kennel, but we dont think he enjoyed it at all, and we didnt like it neither. I take him to the forest every morning since he was a puppy, and now I think he is very used to this, he needs lots of space to run and play.
I am peruvian and my boyfriend is English, we want to go to Peru together for at least 4 months, and we are looking for temp-foster parents, somebody who will give him love during this time.
please email me if you think you can give him some of your time.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Hello Conseulo welcome, what a difficult position to be in, I guess you are wanting to go home to see family I know of someone who did a similar thing and went to visit parent in the USA ... that was a black lab too called 'Totty', I met her she was lovely and very 'laid back' I would not have wanted to return her. She stayed with a friend of a friend which was good. Have you no friend or family here who could take you dog I guess you must have asked everyone already Have you thought about a Lab club in your area? Perhaps they may know of someone, I will ask around myself and get back to you if I come up with anything Also is your boy insured? Most important in case he needs healthcare while you are away. Please post more info about him and when you are thinking of going. There are a couple of links below you might try too.
Ps Your post is in a funny place and may be moved so look around also check your Messages box at the top of the page as we don't have your E mail number.

http://www.thelabradorretrieverclub.co.uk/

http://www.dogclub.co.uk/dogs/profile-labr.php
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

27-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Hi,

Why don't you try a petsitter who will look after your dog in their own home. You will have to pay but at least they are properly insured and you would not have to worry too much about your dogs welfare.

I agree with others please make sure you research who fosters your dog there are some horrible people out there.

Try www.dogsit.com for registered pet sitters - I used to be one and I know that some members will take long term boarders.
Meg
Supervisor

27-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Emm
Hi,
Why don't you try a petsitter who will look after your dog in their own home. You will have to pay but at least they are properly insured and you would not have to worry too much about your dogs welfare.
I agree with others please make sure you research who fosters your dog there are some horrible people out there.
Try www.dogsit.com for registered pet sitters - I used to be one and I know that some members will take long term boarders.
Oh Emma thats such a good idea there are also people who will stay in your house too and look after your pets (cos I looked into doing that in the holidays)..Cons...buy 'The Lady' magazine too, comes out in the newsagent every Tuesday ..all the agencies are listed in there, the people are well veted and usually retired professionals , they treat it as a holiday
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2005, 10:12 PM
we want to go to Peru together for at least 4 months
Thats a long time for letting a stranger look after your dog.

Sorry to say, but my opinion is "Your dog = your responsability"
Wait travelling for such a long time till you dont have a dog.
He didnīt ask to be your dog. You chose him
Meg
Supervisor

28-01-2005, 09:02 AM
[quote="amts"]
thats a long time for letting a stranger look after your dog.
Sorry to say, but my opinion is "Your dog = your responsability"
Wait travelling for such a long time till you dont have a dog.
He didnīt ask to be your dog. You chose him
Hi Ampts while I appreciate what you are saying I feel we do not know all the details here, it is clear Cons cares for her dog and is concerned about his welfare, that is why she found this site and posted here .Cons is a long way from home and it is natural that she would wish to go and see her family. While leaving any dog for a long period is not a good thing to do and one I would not wish to do myself, I respect the fact that other people may be forced by circumstances to do so, and to me the best thing to do is help them all I can to get the best conditions for their dog and keep it safe and happy. If we criticise a persons actions, we risk driving them away then we are no help to their dog at all and they may go ahead and do what they were going to do anyway without our help with less favourable results. I know you are a very caring person and will understand what those of us offering to help are trying to do
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2005, 11:42 AM
hi
You could contact glenys at www.helpalabrador.co.uk. i know she is involved up here in the nw area but will know of other lab rescues near you.i realise you need a holiday and to see your family but 4 months is a very long time to leave him, and it will cost an absolute fortune even if you get pet sitters in.
good luck!!
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Hiya Cons, i can understand your difficult situation... we want to go away to Thailand for a month but we dont want to put our staffy in the kennals... my mum has other dogs - one which is territorial, my bf's mum has a flat and allergic to animals, my dad son is scared of dogs and my bf's dad has 2 cats.... also a staffy is too strong for our granparents to look after...

we are looking into Barking Mad - it sounds like a really good company... you have 'host' families, some with dogs, some with children, some without both... and they are accessed for suitability. you sign up to the company and have an 'assesor' come round and asses you, your dog and his/her lifestyle... you will then be matched to a 'host' family... i think there is a one off membership cost, then a 'delivery' cost (they pick up and drop off you dog for you) and then the daily cost to stay with the host families...

we havent used them yet but will do next time we are on holiday.

its www.barkingmad.uk.com

I am not sure where they are bases - as we live in Nottingham and they operate there - you will just have to check out their site and get in touch..

Hope this helps....
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi,

I havent been on holiday for over 10yr due to having dogs and other pets, having 1 dog is easier to find a sitter for than our 9 dogs and 5cats

Have you had a look in your local vets??? They sometimes have adverts on for Pet sitter who are registerd who you should be able to get refs from. OR ask your vets do they know of any good Dog sitters. I know one of my vets has even taken the dog themselfs to there house to look after so thats always a poss for you.

Anyway, good luck in finding a sitter, im sure you will find one. Hope you enjoy your trip back to Peru.
Meg
Supervisor

29-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Hello again Conseulo IF YOU COME BACK PLEASE CLICK 'MESSAGE' IN THE LITTLE SILVER BOX ABOVE THEN MY NAME AND LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS OR TELEPHONE NUMBER IN MY PERSONAL MESSAGE BOX OK