register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
staffieluv
New Member!

23-11-2004, 04:57 AM

Pitbull Ban in Ontario Canada (Breed Specific Legislation / BSL)

So this has been my recent rant. I am in Alberta, Canada where they recently passed a bylaw against pitbulls. I have to produce CKC registrations for my two staffies or they are considered pitbull crosses and therefore a "dangerous dog". Anyway this leads me to ask you all to get on the TORONTO HUMANE SOCIETY WEBSITE, and sign their online petition against BILL 132 which is in it's First Reading with the government. This Bill states (I just downloaded and read a copy today) that all Staffordshire terriers, along with other AmStaffs, and ANY dog resembling a "pitbull" are to be considered pitbulls. People are being made to muzzle their pets and carry extra insurance. If this is not done they face a $10,000. fine (about $25,000 pounds) and can face 6 months in JAIL!!!! Did I mention the kicker, after this bill passes you cannot breed or transfer ownership or own (unless you owned the dog previous to the bill). This puts all breeders of Staffordshire Bull Terriers out of business, and basically eradicates the breed in Ontario...our "nanny dogs" are dangerous didn't you know! Please sign the petition, as the consequences of this have already started (due to press) dog owners of various breeds have been accosted (including dobermans, Great Dane's and Rottweilers) as the general public can be very ignorant, and many people are assume any big dog is a "pitbull". Please sign...power of the people!!!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-11-2004, 06:24 AM
very sad
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Hi Staffieluv
we did have the petition somewhere on this board
I have signed already as have some others Its very sad

Was reading in Our Dogs that people have also been attacked in the wake of this and had their dogs seriously attcked too
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Where will this banning business end, once all the bully breeds have been wiped out which breed will be next to be singled out as a dangerous breed?

Cann't believe why the pit bull is being picked in Ontario when its proven that there has been more attacks concerning other breeds than the pit bull.

Maybe you can shred some light on the matter staffyluv being that your living in Canada and living the nightmare
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 04:30 PM
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 06:54 PM
That's bloomin awful
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Was reading in Our Dogs that people have also been attacked in the wake of this and had their dogs seriously attcked too
meant to add its not just pitbulls and their owners being attacked

"A fluffy yellow Golden retriever/lab cross was attacked late last week when four young men wearing ski masks swarmed the dog and its owner.One man had a baton and beat the dog- when he struck the front leg the dog went down. Its leg was broken by the blow.
A few weeks before a GSD was attacked on its own property. The attack was incredibly viscious and the dogs eye was lieterally hanging out of the socket and part of its badly damaged tail had to be amputated"

as reported in Ontario Globe and Ontario mail
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 07:28 PM
That's disgusting Lel
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 07:42 PM
All the hard men out in force against a dog
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Of course Lel. It takes the 'tough nuts' to take on a dog, doesn't it? They go into the same category as women beaters, child molestors etc