Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Why do you think it is right to breed any animal which NEEDS artificial help to survive comfortably?

rune
Ohh come on Rune

Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
Not all Cresteds need creaming.
Unfortunately the UK weather and the comfort of gas central heating can make a Cresteds skin appear/ feel drier but during the summer ( lol, what summer) then the natural oils in their skin is enough.
Crested skin is very similiar to humans rather than a coated dogs skin, the epidermis is thicker, their pores have not the same amount of hair follicles of course due to being hairless and these can become blocked just in the same way a humans block with excess oil and dirt.
I have a dark skinned true hairless here who has never had any cream on her what so ever but during the winter months her skin is not as soft to the touch as in the summer.
If you need the full history of their origins or what they were used for just let me know

After all that lol I use creams ( artificial help lol).. as I tend to pamper my pets much the same way as I brush them to keep them matt free as they are unable to tend to this themselves as well.
Just give up, its not worth it...
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Don't see the big deal about skin cream. Whack dogs into a human world and things like skin and nails are like to need more attention. Central heating plays havoc.

Would pick on any breed than tends to be unable to give birth naturally. If that doesn't say humans have ballsed it up nothing does.

Peace
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post

Just give up, its not worth it...
I know just amusing myself after a long shift. Rune's house must be some smell though from all the natural smells comin from the dogs
Au Naturale right enough lol
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Remember the KC brought in a new rule this year that even BOB can be disallowed to compete further in the event if a vet believes their health is compromised.

Question, what happens to dogs that the RSPCA think are exaggerated etc when they come into their kennels?

Do they refuse to rehome them?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 12:35 PM
What do you mean by Mud lol.
A Unmoisturized Crestie would not make the Crestie uncomfortable but it does make the skin a lovely feeling especially when snuggled up to you at night lol
No I mean mud helps with our skin - a natural moisturiser so instead of creams, wouldn't mud do the same thing? Like a spa day for a crestie
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 12:59 PM
What annoys me is the pedigree = illhealth idea that the RSPCA give. I have owned pedigree dogs for nearly 60 years & yes I've had problems with a couple, but we've also had problems with the cross breed we owned. My niece has a rescue who is a real heinz She has a heart problem. Indeed she has cost more in vets fees than any of my dogs who were until recently when I've been unable to have youngters or show because I'm not fit for purpose, have been shown through out their lives.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 01:06 PM
From what I've read here (& I know nothing about cresties so happy to be corrected) but I thought that at least one reason for putting cream on them was to protect them from the sun as they can get sunburnt. The other reason seems to be because owners prefer nice soft moisturised skin to snuggle up to. I'm not for one minute suggesting that dogs at risk from sunburn shouldn't be protected in some way, be it by sunblock cream or being kept in the shade. And as long as it doesn't harm dogs to have moisturiser put on their skin & the dogs don't dislike it, then fair dos. But my earlier post asked why humans have bred dogs to be hairless in the first place & what functionality do hairless dogs perform that hairy dogs can't? If anyone can answer me please I'd be grateful. If not, I'll do the research myself.

I also asked about the functionality of the folds & loose skin of the mastiff pictured earlier in this thread. Can anyone answer that please too?

As for bathing/shampooing a dog, I bath my dogs. I'm the first to admit they don't particular like it, but I do it for the sake of the humans they live with, i.e. me & my husband. We don't much like living with smelly dogs, especially dogs that regularly go swimming in the river or plough through muddy puddles or play in cow poo filled fields! But if I didn't bath them I don't think it would worry the dogs in the least.

As for clipping nails, cleaning ears etc isn't that just what anyone does for their dog, regardless of the breed? And don't the things we need to do to keep our dogs happy & healthy change as the dogs age? And isn't getting them veterinary care also part of the way we keep our dogs happy & healthy? These things happen regardless of breed. But I don't know many hairy dogs that require sunblock or any other dogs with "normal" skin that are prone to the problems that face dogs bred for loose skin with big folds in the skin. If there are genuine functional reasons for breeding dogs to have these characteristics, then please say as I'm always open to learn something new. And if the only reason is for human aesthetics, then please say so.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I too think that it's quite hypocritical or the RSPCA, typical jumping on the bandwaggon & agreeing with the topic of the moment.

I agree that some of the breeds have been damaged by humans, particularly the ones which can't give birth properly or struggle to breath. But I think the RSPCA are sticking there nose where it's not wanted. I'd like the KC or anyone with public power to reply and ask them why they sued a family for more inheritance than they were given, and why those high up in the charity are on so much money.

On the CC topic, many breeds need extra help, spaniels need extra attention for they're long ears for example. But is it true that some are shaved? Now that I find too far, anyone who would shave a dog for their own personal gain in the show ring is disgusting as it offers no benefit to the dog and stubble rash is not fun, and neither is being shaved to be honest.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 01:26 PM
I know just amusing myself after a long shift. Rune's house must be some smell though from all the natural smells comin from the dogs
Au Naturale right enough lol
Are you implying that those of us who don`t bath, cream and pluck our dogs have smelly houses?
How rude!
And how ignorant.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
Don't see the big deal about skin cream. Whack dogs into a human world and things like skin and nails are like to need more attention.
I have a white cat, and she has to have sun cream on her ears in the summer to prevent skin cancer. So would the RSPCA like to ban white cats? How are they going to do that? She's a random-bred moggy!
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »