View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah allen
New Member!
Female 

30-01-2011, 07:23 PM

Can you recommend a training method for a large scared aggressive dog?

My 2 year old ridgeback is causing me alot of issues- he is scared of people - barks and growls at them but wont go near and can be aggressive to other dogs-
I tried a training school that was very strict and he ended up worse bucking and crying on the lead- he is too large a dog to behave like this and having had 3 ridgebacks before I really didn't think they had this type of behaviour and I'm scared!
I am determined To get him the right help( and me) I'm sure someone has had the same experience?
S
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 09:32 PM
I know from personal experience that it can take time to find the right trainer. I tried one private one and then several different classes before finally someone put me in touch with a very experienced, ex police dog handler/trainer.

I would recommend that you contact any of the dog training schools in your area and have a chat with the head trainer. Maybe they will let you take your dog along so you can observe a class and get a feel for their methods.

Like me, you may well need one-to-one sessions; my dog was so overwhelmed in classes that we disrupted the entire evening, every time!

So do your best to find an experienced trainer that you feel you can have confidence in. And take it from me - there is help out there! I never, ever thought I'd make any progress with Dexter, but we have, though it's taken several months.

Stick with it - when you find the right trainer for you, you will find things start improving

p.s. I love Ridgebacks, they are absolutely stunning!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Agree with above. I have a fear-aggressive Kerry Blue terrier and was given very unhelpful info from a couple of dog-training clubs before I found the right help from a private instructor who helped me handle Cherry correctly on a one-to-one basis.

Could you ask at your vets if they know anyone they would recommend as a behaviourist?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2011, 10:23 PM
hello sarah, another ridge x owner here.

i am in herts

whereabouts are you?

i might be able to sort something out for you
sarah allen
New Member!
Female 

31-01-2011, 07:23 AM
Thanks for replying / im in north east herts.
Is your ridgeback a rescue dog?
How can you help?
S
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Fear aggression is really tough to work with, but with patience, kindness and the right trainer to help, you can help him, or al least effectively manage him. I have a fear aggressive dog, who's also reactive to other dogs. I use clicker training and have found the book "Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog" by Emma Parsons to be immensely helpful.

My boy no longer reacts to the presence of a stranger, just when they give him direct eyecontact and/or reach out. Ollie's not as big as your dog, but he's not small either, so I know what you're going through. You've got a long road ahead of you.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
You've got a long road ahead of you.

Just to reassure the original poster that when you find the right trainer, you will notice improvements. Some will happen quickly - others will take longer. But things will get better.

My dog is a big, rather tall, very strong Labrador. He displays fear-based aggression towards numerous things - people carrying umbrellas or bags, horses, motorbikes, sounds that he doesn't recognise, men carrying newspapers...

I know how exhausting and stressful it can be. But I also know it is vital to find a very experienced trainer who will work with you on a one-to-one basis.

What sort of collar and lead do you currently walk your dog on?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 12:08 PM
You may also wish to read "The Dog Aggression Workbook" by James O Heare (this is his red one, for owners, not his similarly named yellow one which is more for behaviourists).

It will give quite a lot of help but also it will ensure that you can recognise good methods or bad, which is very important.

Strict dog training schools are often no help with fearful dogs. They tend to be very traditional and unable to tihnk outside the box, then label dog or owner as hopeless.

Police dog trainers can be very good or unfortunately some can be awful - but it goes without saying that you need to choose any trainer, or behaviourist, with care!

Membership of APDT, APBC, COAPE etc is usually a good sign.

Wys
x
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Fear aggression is really tough to work with, but with patience, kindness and the right trainer to help, you can help him, or al least effectively manage him. I have a fear aggressive dog, who's also reactive to other dogs. I use clicker training and have found the book "Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog" by Emma Parsons to be immensely helpful.

My boy no longer reacts to the presence of a stranger, just when they give him direct eyecontact and/or reach out. Ollie's not as big as your dog, but he's not small either, so I know what you're going through. You've got a long road ahead of you.
I agree its a good book, I also like 'control unleashed' for exercises to help you
I also found it very useful to try and remember that it was most likely that my dog was sacred and that was why she was like that. Once you think like that it is much easier not to get angry at them for being bad but you can be more understanding and try and find ways to help build their confidence

It is a long road - in that your dog wont be instantly cured, and you will have some setbacks along the way, but you will also start to see improvments right away

and actually everyone I know who has had a difficult dog and had to work hard to help them overcome issues has actually ended up with a far greater love respect and understanding of their dog from putting in the extra work
the great thing about dogs is everything you put in is returned to you 100%

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
You may also wish to read "The Dog Aggression Workbook" by James O Heare (this is his red one, for owners, not his similarly named yellow one which is more for behaviourists).

It will give quite a lot of help but also it will ensure that you can recognise good methods or bad, which is very important.

Strict dog training schools are often no help with fearful dogs. They tend to be very traditional and unable to tihnk outside the box, then label dog or owner as hopeless.

Police dog trainers can be very good or unfortunately some can be awful - but it goes without saying that you need to choose any trainer, or behaviourist, with care!

Membership of APDT, APBC, COAPE etc is usually a good sign.

Wys
x
Yup a good trainer here is a godsend - but take your time to find one you know is good
if they talk about punishemnts or your dog being bad just walk away, as you have seen being strict dosent help

Its easy to get sucked into what a trainer says - I am sure we have all been there - I know I have - but YOU know your dog the best and if something dosent sound right it isnt, there are no magic cures, if something sounds cruel (no matter the fancy words the use) it IS cruel
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I would suggest that instead of struggling on your own with a large dog like this that you find yourself a reputable trainer in your area.

Fortunately there are a few.

I can personally recommend Steve Mann from Alpha Dog Training School, he is a member of the APDT and was on that TV programme which paired up stars and rescue dogs and was the trainer of Selina Scotts dog that won.

Very nice man, very good trainer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >