Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2015, 09:07 PM

Gad put to sleep on supervet

Poor little soul. Severe elbow disp. Plus both hips. Even supervet wouldn't op on all 4 (I don't think I've ever seen him not try) so decision to pts. So what does the woman do? Goes and buys another Gsd pup it's HALF BROTHER? I mean really? Am I wrong to be completely dismayed?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2015, 10:59 PM
PERHAPS she doesn't realize that those conditions are genetic and almost guaranteed to be from extremely poor breeding. If that's the case she's merely ignorant. If she KNOWS that like she should, she's really just stupid. Why go out and get a genetically defective dog like that's brother or sister or ANY relative? Senseless...
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-09-2015, 11:08 PM
That was on a long time ago, how come you've only just seen it A lot of breeders I know were horrified she was still totally clueless as to why it had happened. I would have expected her to have had it explained to her to be honest
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-09-2015, 06:28 AM
Not necessarily genetic. Dillon's lines have good hip and elbow scores but he has mild hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia.

It could of course be from the original breeding stock way way way back in the lines before testing was possibly done then yes it is genetic but what do you do never buy a dog because of that.

The orthopaedic vet who gave us Dillon's results elbows recently said its a loaded gun with pedigree dogs and large dogs in particular just because scores are good or not does not mean dog will or not have dysplasia also regardless of how well you rear them with all precautions taken which we did with Dillon. Dysplasia can also be environmental.
You can do all the research and take all the care it guarantees nothing.

Its very sad.