Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chelsea10
New Member!
Male 

06-08-2010, 06:06 PM

Heart murmur

Hi everyone

My name is Dave and i have two English Bull Terriers,Everything has been fine for the last 3 years but today i have been informed by my vet that my youngest dog (Bullit) who is 3 years old has an Heart Mumur and weak lungs. This has arrived like a bomb shell as he is so big and strong, but has over this week developed a cough. I was told about this site and was hoping someone may have hints for caring for a dog with this type of issue.

I am sorry my intro was so downbeat, but i am at a loss as what to do next.

Dave:
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi Dave, I am so sorry about your three year old lad - it must have been a huge shock to learn that he has problems at such a young age.

I think that your vet is the best person to ask about the cough, but it does often go with heart conditions unfortunately. As your boy also has weak lungs then the cough is likely to be even worse as he tries to expel the excess fluid.

Good luck - there are many drugs which are available, and I am sure that your vet will prescribe something to ensure that Bullit has a trouble-free life for as long as possible
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 07:35 PM
I know i have said this on a few thread but has your dog been treat for Lung worm.

I would question why this has not been picked up before.

On a bright note I have bred a dog that had a heart murmur and he lives with a friend. He has had his since birth and is quite a severe on and my friend keeps telling me it was a mistake as he is four years old now has no medication and has a great time playing football with the children.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Hi Dave, welcome to Dogsey!

Sorry to hear the news. I've no experience of heart murmurs in dogs. Have just lost a chicken with one, having said that she was an ex-battery hen and quite elderly. One of our family cats was diagnosed with a heart murmur when he was quite young, 4 I think, and lived to about 12 so there is hope for your boy.x
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 08:30 PM
http://www.denotany-bullterriers.com/Heart.html

http://www.thebullterrierclub.com/html/health.htm#HEART

Sorry to hear about your dog. These are a couple links telling you about hereditary heart disease in Bull Terriers.