View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 11:47 AM
An aggressive resource guarding dog doesn't need to be rehomed so he can bite somebody else and maybe have to be euthanized. He needs to be trained so that he can live safely with a family. If you give him away, I'm sure the resource guarding will begin again and will become a huge problem. If he's biting hard enough to draw blood, it's gotten out of hand. Since your dad says he HAS to go, you're pretty much out of options now, of course it would have been better to train him before it got to this point, but that won't help you now. As the other users said, you could try a local rescue group or no kill shelter. Beware that at a no kill shelter if your dog is hard to train or becomes an issue, they will simply send him to a kill shelter where he will likely be euthanized. IF you're able to find a person that will take the dog, knowing that he's food aggressive, then you're lucky and he might have another chance. Try Craigslist or something like that too if you run out of options.

Yes ignore my post since it is so much worse than the post below, which offers no real information at all. My apologies if the shelters here are different than the ones in the UK though. I sometimes forget that I am one of very few Americans on this site.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Ignore the above post re no kill shelters in the UK. They don't pass dogs on but may choose to pts for mental health reasons.

However it is going to be hard to rehome a dog who has bitten---for whatever reason.

Breed rescue may be the only option.

Good luck.

rune
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 12:13 PM
HI

Can you sit down reasonably with your dad and speak to him about getting a behaviourist in and working with everyone and also perhaps a dog walker if you are working full time, I just feel that you are passing the created problem on now to someone else, and it could become more of an issue for Dutch.

Your Dad is angry as he got bitten etc and it sounds like this has been escalating for a while. I think that should be your first course of action. are there any other issues/reasons that he has to be rehomed?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by fayeily View Post
Hi thanks for the quick replies.

I tried his breeder but was a complete waste of time, she has no interest and has recently rehomed her own dogs and moved.

Looked at basset hound rescue and have got a couple of numbers so they can hopefully help.

The absolute last thing i want is for Dutch to go, believe me this is not my decision in any shape or form.
Oh love, I really feel for you.....

*Hugs*

x0x
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Have sent you a message
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 12:26 PM
please contact 01543 871580 or 01889 801242 they are with Bassett welfare and may be able to give you advice x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi there, I have no idea what your domestic circumstances are thus I am not going to say what you SHOULD do because none of know the individual environmental arrangements your home.

All I will say is that I understand what some of your difficulties may be. To cut a long story short my mother fell for some sob story and took in an elderly, deaf Cocker Spaniel which had severe resource guarding issues.

So severe that you had to put a blanket over her to get past her.

She lived with her elderly father who had severe mobility problems.

I came over for a visit from abroad and advised her to have the dog put down before it seriously injured my grandfather.

She did not.

The dog did seriously injure him.

The dog was put down AFTER this occurred.

It is all very well stating that this can be cured (it can) and it is not difficult (it is not) HOWEVER it requires a) the DESIRE to do so by ALL parties and b) the ABILITY to implement the training by ALL parties.

If any of the required skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience are missing, in addition to the lack of motivation to implement said programme by any party then any behavioural modification programme designed by an outsider (without considering these issues) is doomed to failure.

People who want to keep their dogs at any price, do, often to the detriment of themselves, their family and others; people who are less than committed to the individual animal, will not.

These are the hard facts of life.

If you need any further information, do not hesitate to pm me.

We all have to remember that what may not be a problem to US, can often be insurmountable to others due to circumstances outside of their individual control.

It is often wise to remember this…….
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Your only way out of this is to get your own place. Not saying its impossible and really hope not but people are not lining up to take on dogs that will bite people. It cuts out all homes with young children, dogs, other pet animals...the inexperienced etc.

If you could afford to get yourself a place and a dog walker (who knows the issues) and a behaviourist, it would be the best option imho. Whether or not its possible only you know.
pagan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2012, 12:00 AM
I am a behaviourist based in Ludlow (but will travel) any chance you can give me some info about Dutch:
any other behavioural issues
if you are unable to reach a compromise with your dad about Dutch staying, I may be able to help with rehoming (I work closely with many independant rescues some of whom cover your area) or may be able to find a temporary home for Dutch if you need time to find your own place. Please message me if you would like to chat, you can find my phone numbers on my website
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-04-2012, 04:44 PM
anyone know what the outcome was on this ?
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >