Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-09-2005, 09:56 PM

Steve's life!

Hi there!
This first picture is of my very sorely missed Rottweiler called Abe who sadly died 24th May 2005 aged only 6 years old of a stomach tumour.

He was a stunning boy who was everso well behaved and never needed to be walked on a lead.He would happily trot alongside me and never strayed far-infact i had to tell him to go and play with other dogs!
I got him at 9 weeks old from a breeder in Kings Lynn (Norfolk) and despite being a hooligan initially-he matured into a wonderful companion who i couldnt ever fault.I trusted him implicity with children and all of the local kids round here used to scream his name while running upto him for a cuddle.He was true gentle giant and still miss him like crazy.

This photo was taken about 6 weeks before he died and you may notice his front legs/throat have been shaved by the vet.This is because they found out he had an underactive thyroid gland which made him gain weight easily and lethargic.He was immediately put on medication and within a fortnight-he was a new dog who would chase after balls again.Abe had already been diagnosed with arthritis in his front legs,but the Metacam the vet presribed made a massive difference and no longer was in any pain.

This photo was his classic pose-just chilling out!

This photo was taken couple of weeks before he died at a country park he loved going to.His illness came on so quickly with no warning-so came as a total bombshell when he died.
I will sometime in the future,get another Rottweiler as a playmate for Vegas because they make superb pets and im still everso fond of them.

This photo was taken in summer 2004 when Abe had to have (another) operation to remove (another) grass seed from his (same) paw.He was always plagued with these damn things and despite the vet doing (expensive) cosmetic surgery on his paw-its didnt help sadly.

This photo shows Abe just after i woke him up (hence eye bogeys) and was speaking to him using baby language which made him go all soft looking!

I took this photo when he squeezed inbetween me and coffee table to look out of the window.The picture is named 'slobering mess!'

This photo is of my Bullmastiff x called Vegas.

I got him a few weeks after Abe died from my local rehoming shelter.He was 13 months old when i got him,very boisterous,not had a lot of training and didnt really know how to behave himself.He is a Bullmastiff crossed with an American Bulldog and has terrific running speed! Despite all his lack of training-i saw his potential and decided to take him home.I've had him with me 4 months now and his behaviour has improved atleast 80%,but we still have a long road ahead.Training an adolescent dog is much harder and requires more time,but recall is good now instead of terrible.

This photo is of Vegas at the same country park that Abe loved so much.When i got Vegas,he hated getting wet,but after taking him to the waters edge-a friendly German Shepherd encouraged him to join her in the water and now you cannot get him out! The other dog in the picture is my sisters Boxer called Lola and she too is gonna be a water baby!

Strange thing is-he still dont like going out in the rain and runs like hell when i chase him with a watering can!

This photo is of him and his Kong.He loves trying to get the treats i stuff inside and keeps him amused for ages.

Thanks for reading!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-09-2005, 09:59 PM
great pics Steve
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2005, 10:03 PM
I am so sorry for you am crying my eyes out as I write. Your Abe was beautiful and I could see the demise of the pictures. Oh you poor thing what an age for him to go and they are such intelligent dogs I bet he knew all was bad too. This is so painfull I'm crying so hard. Stopping now before I damage the keypad.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Aww that was lovely Steve Its really nice to see photos of Abe again, I miss him Its weird that we both lost our dogs at 6 years isn't it. Sabre was only 7 months older than Abe - he was born 22nd August 1998 and I lost him at nearly 6 years old too

Vegas is looking lovely and I bet he feels like he has found heaven having such a good home, you are doing really well with him, can't wait to see his new 'sister' next year
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-09-2005, 10:11 PM
well done Steve it took something to write that very nicely done and nice photos but a sad story i know how you feel lost 6 dogs in my life and it takes a lot out of you
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2005, 10:20 PM
I never met Abe but I have to say I miss him.

Vegas looks totaly at home.

The whole page is brilliantly written with care and love. And pictures speak a thousand words don't they.

Take care Karen
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

15-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by Steve
How lovely to see Abe's smiling face again Steve Such a handsome fellow he was, and a truly great ambassador for his breed.

Vegas is looking well and happy. What a lucky pup he was to find you
Annestaff
Supervisor

15-09-2005, 05:34 AM
Great post Steve, what an absolute cracker Abe was
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2005, 07:33 AM
steve abe was a :smt049 :smt049
and i also love that 1st pic of him,he was gorg but then i am bias towards rotties too
vegas is lovely too and he has so landed on his feet with you
can,t wait to see your new rottie when you do get one
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2005, 08:12 AM
Hi Steve

Like SB I too am glad to see pictures of Abe again, he looked like a superb dog, and one thing I'm glad of is that you were the one to rescue him because you gave him a good life, the photos say it all really.

The lovely Vegas is also one of a kind, and it's great to see him thriving in your care.

Rest in peace beautiful Abe.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >