Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 06:45 AM

Dog doesn't like pool, but loves water?

I got my baby boy Brownie a wading pool for him to play in and sit in etc. He's a Lab mix and he's always loved to swim and stuff. It's been over 100 degrees outside lately and I want him to have a place to cool off while we're out there and to make it more pleasurable for him to be there. But he hates the pool! For some reason, he won't even step into it. I want him to like it and have fun with it, I've tried everything. Putting his favorite treats/toys near/above/in the water. Trying to physically guide him in there. I've stepped in there and tried to coax him in and everything. Nothing works, he just doesn't want to walk in there. I didn't yank him in there or try and force him because he REALLY didn't want to go in there. When I tried to lead him by his collar (do it all the time for bath time and everything else he's not fond of) he REALLY tried to pull away from me. I think he's scared of the pool! He's not scared of much so it's strange to me. Does anybody have any suggestions I might be able to use to get him in there. I've tried everything I could think of. I'll post his new video of me trying to get him to go in there

I REALLY want him to like it! It'll keep him cooler. He's nearly 15 and that weather is REALLY nasty. Record breaking temperatures. Over 100 degrees and I don't want him to overheat. Is there ANYTHING I can do?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Well dragging him isn't going to do it. Maybe he's scared of the smell of the pool. Or maybe it's the material it's made out of. Or maybe he just plain and simple doesn't want to go in the water. Just coz you want him to doesn't mean he wants to.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Well dragging him isn't going to do it. Maybe he's scared of the smell of the pool. Or maybe it's the material it's made out of. Or maybe he just plain and simple doesn't want to go in the water. Just coz you want him to doesn't mean he wants to.
I didn't force him in there, I wished he liked it though. I could have dragged him into the water, but that's not nice and I love him. Once he showed he didn't want to go, I just let him go. I want him to like it, since it's hot and he's old and it would make him feel better.
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2012, 11:44 AM
i'd just sit with my feet in the water, give the dog attention if he comes near but don't tr to get him to go in. in time he may decide its ok & get in himself but the more you try to get him to go in the less likely he'll want to because he'll think it's a really big deal. i suppose him not wanting to go in is a bit like my dog poppy wanting to go in rivers but never wanting to get in the bath, its both water so why should she have a problem with a bath?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by toobendy View Post
i'd just sit with my feet in the water, give the dog attention if he comes near but don't tr to get him to go in. in time he may decide its ok & get in himself but the more you try to get him to go in the less likely he'll want to because he'll think it's a really big deal. i suppose him not wanting to go in is a bit like my dog poppy wanting to go in rivers but never wanting to get in the bath, its both water so why should she have a problem with a bath?
Thanks for the advice. I truly do want him to go in but when I tried to guide him in, he was like NO WAY. He doesn't like bath time either, but loves swimming in lakes and stuff. But he goes on in the tub without a war. But the pool... NOPE!
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Maybe he doesn't like pink. Sorry, couldn't resist. Looks a nice sturdy pool though, wish I could find one like that here without spending silly money.

Why don't you try it without the water in first, see if it makes any difference? It might be the new pool as much as the water, so one thing at a time could work.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
Maybe he doesn't like pink. Sorry, couldn't resist. Looks a nice study pool though, wish I could find one like that here without spending silly money.

Why don't you try it without the water in first, see if it makes any difference? It might be the new pool as much as the water, so one thing at a time could work.
Good idea, I didn't try that. I filled the pool, then brought him to it. I'll try it! It's a plastic pool made for young children. I would have gotten him one of those bubbly bigger ones but his claws would punch holes in it. Also I weren't sure if he was going to like it, so I didn't spend a LOT on it. This one was gotten at an ALDI grocery store for maybe 10 bucks or so. Very cheap and pretty good too! Didn't melt in the 100 degree plus temps or anything.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
Maybe he doesn't like pink. Sorry, couldn't resist. Looks a nice study pool though, wish I could find one like that here without spending silly money.

Agree with this, you are asking too much of him too soon. He needs to feel comfortable with the bright pink plastic-ness off the pool and how it looks and feels etc. before he deal with the fact it has water in it too. baby steps.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Agree with this, you are asking too much of him too soon. He needs to feel comfortable with the bright pink plastic-ness off the pool and how it looks and feels etc. before he deal with the fact it has water in it too. baby steps.
Thanks. I think I expected him to like it because he loves the water and swimming and wading and the like. I was wrong. I didn't force him and I gave up after a while. Later I tried using treats and toys to get him to go in there, all to no avail. He's gotten quite far-sighted in his old age.. so maybe the color or something is bothering him. I'll slow down and let him take his time around the pool.
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2012, 12:45 PM
ah yes trying without the water could be a good plan. this thread is interesting to me because i plan on getting a paddling pool for my dogs, if they won't use it at least i can cool my feet in it if the sun ever makes another appearance this summer! also i'm summer at the very least they'll use it as a giant water bowl!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >