View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Can you not get him chemically castrated first to see if it is hormonal?
Becky
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Good luck for tomorrow.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 11:01 PM
How is Ralph?
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:03 AM
if there is no medical explantion it might be the comb of heat, temptation and over excitment with so many people around. not sure where to go from there. but i know a dog who has two sides nice and nasty and his eyes change like you said
ATD xxx
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Sorry for not updating, op went well yesterday. He's still ever so drowsy and just sleeping on his beanbag.
Tbh, we would have probably gotten him castrated eventually anyway, the fact the vet suggested it as an aid, not soloution, to some of the little 'problems' Ralph had..just enforced the idea.
Will update when he comes back to life more.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks Luke - good to hear he is recoving well.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Glad to hear Ralph came through the op ok.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
He's seventeen months old. And he is starting to be a bit 'funny' with a cousins young male lab puppy, and strange people knocking the door etc. He also cocks his leg absolutely EVERYWHERE.
He's started with commands lately too, like asking him 'down and wait' for example..he takes a while to do so, and its like he tries to wait to see if your really intent on getting him to do something.
Could it be a connection between these things?
What would your thoughts be on castration?
Sounds to me like he is trying on the big-boy pants to see how they fit:smt002 Leg-cocking, ignoring commands, getting 'funny' with other dogs all suggest to me that he needs a little reminder in manners and who is the pack leader.

Yes, it could have been the heat and the amount of people there exacerbated things, but it does seem more to me like he is confused as to his place in the pack and trying to establish dominance.

I would go back to basics with him and start doing more training daily, don't allow him to ignore you - if you say sit or down he should do it first command, not have you repeat it several times. Don't allow him on sofa (don't know if you do or not!), make him earn his treats and pets. Will he allow you to lift his food bowl? If not I would start teaching him to allow hands near his dish asap, it is vital dogs are not food possesive. Try adding high-value titbits to his dish so he doesn't associate your hands going near it as always being there to take food away.

It is very typical of an adolescent dog to try it on, they just have to learn they aren't going to get away with it.:smt002

Castration may help, but I would combine it with the training
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Shame I didnt see this before, you should of gone for the Tardak option first, your Vet SHOULD of suggested it, it can be very wrong to castrate an animal with behaviour problems, i hope it works out, but even if his demeanor improves, his coat will be awful, you'll have your work cut out there, its a shame, he is a lovely dog. hope he does ok.
Dawn.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Aww bless him, hope he's not too sore!

One thing I will say about castrated dogs is they definitely need less food, so keep an eye on his weight from now on!

Says the owner of the fattest Springer in the country!
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >