Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2006, 10:40 AM

Castrated and Entire Dogs

Hi Guys,
You all know we had a bit of a spat between Meg and Fen,well they have been fine together since
She has been in the garden with both Fen and Tyler this morning,Tyler has paid no more interest than usual,but Fen has actually tried to mount her a few times

She could be starting to get ready for her first season,as she is 5 1/2 months old now
Now what i'm wondering is would a castrated dog show more interest in a bitch,than an entire male,i'm also wondering whether to let Meg in the garden now on her own and keep her away from the two dogs for the present time.Tyler did show some strange behaviour last week and wet all over her
I'm getting more confused by the day
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I think it really depends on the individual dog. I am currently on day 19 of Rio's season, I also have a castrated male and an entire younger male, and I would say their interest in her has been about equal, although possibly displayed in different ways. I have continued to treat them all the same as usual and any unwanted behaviour is dealt with in the same manner as it always is.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2006, 05:34 PM
mounting is not always sexual but can be dominance
when bessie was having seasons borris would never be intrested till the bleeding stopped (it was the next stage) and the same with max and mungo with our irish wolf hound bitch molly, but all dogs differ greatly (but defo keep them apart as soon as she starts spotting)

maybe after the 'spat' fern maybe trying to dominate meg trying to be the leader of the pack so to speak and maybe he wont do it to tyler because he doesnt feel a fret by him