TO GERMAN SHEPHERD DOGS (ALSATIANS) IN 2012

The Kennel Club has recently completed the overall allocation of Championship
Status for 2012 (published in the August issue of the Kennel Gazette) but has
declined for the time being to allocate Kennel Club Challenge Certificates for
that year to German Shepherd Dogs (Alsatians) until it has resolved various
matters with the GSD fraternity.

The Kennel Club has been in contact with representatives from the German
Shepherd Dog Clubs and Council to discuss concerns raised by judges over the
conformation of the breed as frequently seen in the show ring.
During the course of these discussions it has been stressed that the Kennel Club
is aware of sensitivities within the breed, but is also acutely conscious that
there is a clear need for the KC and breed clubs to work together to resolve
health issues of all kinds and put an end to the practice of double handling.

The KC Breed Health and Welfare Strategy Group is particularly keen to ensure
both the proper application of the Kennel Club Breed Standard – and the
avoidance of exaggeration – by judges and breeders alike. The Kennel Club notes
the level of valid criticism from all quarters; not only within the world of
dogs, but also from the veterinary profession and from the general public. The
KC is aware of similar concerns in other parts of Europe.

GSD breed representatives were asked, in the discussions that have taken place,
to help enhance the reputation of this well recognised breed. There was
agreement that there were problems with the hindquarters of some dogs, and that
dogs with hocks touching or almost touching were most unsatisfactory. It was
felt by some that the tendency for this stemmed from the length of the second
thigh. Concern has also been expressed over the potential adverse effect on
health both of exaggerated toplines which seem in some cases to be almost
roached, and of toplines which fall away in an exaggerated manner.

Breed representatives agreed that during their training, judges must be made
aware of the need for overall soundness and, in particular, strength in the
hindquarters.

In addition to this, the Kennel Club and many German Shepherd Dog exhibitors
have serious concerns relating to double handling of the breed, which appears to
continue unabated. The Kennel Club continues to monitor breed club shows for
compliance with the Regulation which prevents the attraction of the attention of
dogs from outside the ring. All clubs were written to at the beginning of 2008
confirming that shows would be monitored and were provided with an advice note
on how to manage double handling. It was pointed out at this time that if at a
club’s show there was continued double handling which had gone unchecked then
future show licences could be placed in jeopardy. Similarly any judge or
exhibitor failing to comply with the Regulations will be investigated with
possible resulting disciplinary action. Double handling, as well as being
against Kennel Club Regulations, has serious implications for the safety of
those at the ringside and also for the welfare of the dogs. The KC is determined
that this practice must cease in order to preserve the reputation of dog showing
and dog welfare.

The Kennel Club emphasises that discussions must continue on these matters in a
satisfactory manner to ensure that acceptable plans are in place and that
actions have commenced to resolve matters – including double handling – before
the 2012 allocation of CCs to GSDs is confirmed.

ENDS
27th July 2009
[232.09]

For further press information, images or interview requests please contact:
The Kennel Club Press Office
020 7518 1008
press.office@...
www.thekennelclub.org.uk

Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Can you explain what double handling us and how it benefits the dog in the ring .....
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Double Handling is where someone outside the ring makes noise's, calls the dog's name, jangling keys and all manner of things. Until you've seen it first hand you may think it is nothing worth mentioning but it is very distracting to breeds in other rings and the people running round the outside of the ring tend to run into people and things. They seem to have little regard nor courtesy for others.
It is actually against KC rules and the first time I saw it I was absolutely staggered at what people were doing despite the very large sign saying no double handling allowed.
I think judging should be suspended until people are quiet. Double handling would stop instantly if no judging took place until everyone was quiet!
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Interesting.

I don't know anything about showing but the thing that struck me about this was - is the GSD the only breed which they have refused to issue tickets for and if so are they really the breed with the most serious health issues?

The article doesn't suggest that the GSD breed clubs are refusing to address the KCs concerns on health issues, so if the GSDs are the only breed they are doing this to, my suspicious mind concludes that other reasons (e.g. the double handling) are more important that the health issue?

If the KC are doing this with all breeds which have major health problems and not just the GSD, I think it probably is a good move.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 07:20 AM
I suppose it depends on what the breed clubs/councils put forward with regards to the changes to the breed standards and I presume it will take time for all these discussions to take place so until each one is resolved we wont know. I'm sure if the KC are prepared to remove CC's for one breed they'll do it to another it's just that they haven't finished discussing it yet. They can't discuss all the breeds in such a short time frame and they had until the end of June (I think) to put forward their proposals so time will tell.
Becky
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2009, 07:50 AM
my thoughts too - wil the KC be withdrawing tickets from all the breeds that have health or construction issues ( Cavaliers? Bulldogs?, Mastiffs, Shar Peis, Chows, Pekes, Pugs many of whom also have poor movement - why is is acceptable for the Peke's movement to be described as 'rolling' (should ANY dog roll on the move ? ) for MIn Pins movement to be described as 'Hackney Action' for Chows gait to be described as 'Stilted' - all of these seem to me to be just as bad as the loose hocks seen on SOME germanic GSD. My understanding is that it is the breeders of the Germanic type that are scrupulous about testing both for character and health - does it not also seem a tad hypocritical to single out the GSD breeders who ARE health testing yet give KC registration to those who do NO testing at all (and are in some instances plainly puppy farmers ?)

there seems no joined up thinking here - just more knee jerk reaction - i fear that unless the KC listens to those within the breeds as much as it listens to some journalists then many breeds will walk away once an alternative arrives ( the FCI ? )

Yvonne

P.S....and this is a German dog - the Germanic type is the typae approved by the country of origin - do we have the right to change it because we prefer our own version ?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 08:34 AM
It sounds good to me. Especially the bit about soundness being important. Well done to the KC for making a start.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 08:43 AM
It will be interesting to see whether this makes any difference at all to the conformation of the gsd.

Originally Posted by bijou View Post
P.S....and this is a German dog - the Germanic type is the typae approved by the country of origin - do we have the right to change it because we prefer our own version ?
I understand that point of view Yvonne, and I know it is one that many breeders of the germanic show type hold, but to be honest, when the conformation has deteriorated so much due to the interpretation of that standard, something needs to be changed to make it clear that that interpretation is no longer acceptable, even if it only improves the welfare of the dogs in this country. I don't think that there is anything very wrong with the SV standard btw, just the fashion in how that standard is interpreted has taken a turn for the worse. So in theory the standard does not need to be changed, the KC just need to impress on people, that the current interpretation can't continue. But something more drastic may need to be done.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 09:15 AM
So how does the double handling benefit the dog and handler in the ring? Surely it would just confuse the dog, or is it done as a distraction to other dogs?
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It sounds good to me. Especially the bit about soundness being important. Well done to the KC for making a start.
Agree with this.

Its a shame for the GSD exhibitors but at least the KC are being seen to making an conscious effort.

I have seen the GSD double handling just at open shows and it really is very distracting
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »