View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 08:04 PM
I suppose their reason for not homechecking would be lack of resourses,they have more resourses than us
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Thats really bad I though all rescues did home checks.
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 08:11 PM
the sspca is not an independent breed rescue it is a cat and dog home works like a supermarket --_ie pick up dog pay cash go home
CBT
Dogsey Senior

25-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Ok a few facts for you :

SSPCA Bothwell and cardonald both operate on a similar level. No homecheck is required for most breeds, I have spoken with the kennel staff as well as people who have homed from there and apparently homechecks are needed if the dog is a staff, rotts too as far as Im aware and I think some of the big breeds, mastiffs etc they do homechecks.

They are basically a stray pound and once the dog has had its 7 days it can be homed pending a check by the vet.
If you spot a dog you like you can reserve it prior to its 7 days being up. All you need is some ID and you fill out a form.

Their dogs are quite cheap compared to some rescues.

Both kennels are sadly rife with kennel cough.
7 days isnt always enough incubation time, I brought a dog home from the cat = dog home at cardonald a few years ago and it went down with kennel cough within a few days, infecting all my other dogs and a friends dog whod been visitging, then his dog infected his sisters dog, and their dog infected their neighbours dog!!
It takes an expensive course of meds to get rid of kennel cough and for that reason I would never take a dog from there into a home environment where there are other dogs.
If you take the dog back within 7 days they pay for the treatment, which is some small consulation i suppose.

I think they do a good job to an extent, I mean if it werent for them many dogs would be put down, and they do work very closely with other breed rescues I know this for a fact, so I think they deserve a bit of credit for what they do, but I personally think they should keep the dogs for longer, both to assess them fully (a lot of dogs "bounce" due to not being placed in the right homes or being assessed properly before rehoming) and also to give them a full incubation period to ensure they dont have kennel cough upon leaving the centre.

any thoughts on this?
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Then anyone can just go and get a dog on a whim and what happens afterwards they could be anybody.
Mary
CBT
Dogsey Senior

25-01-2005, 08:57 PM
anybody can just go and get a dog anyway though, lets be realistic here, if you want a dog its as simple as going through the free ads and then off you go, pay your money, or sometimes even free, and there you have a dog.
Of course in an ideal world, both breeders and rescues would vet people a bit more to make sure they arent going to mistreat the animal at any time in the future, but when you are dealing with huge numbers of stray dogs, in a large scale kennel environment, it isnt always easy to do things the way they would be done in an ideal world.

The only other solution would be to have all these unwanted dogs put down instead so I think when you weight it up the SSPCA are doing an OK job really, there are much worse places and worse people out there. There are a few areas that could be improved such as the kennel cough thing and spending more time assessing the dogs before homing, but no rescue is perfect so lets hope they improve things a bit in the near future.

There are council run pounds which operate in exactly the same manner as the SSPCA cat + dog homes but I dont hear anyone mentioning those?
I know of one in scotland where you just turn up pay your money and take your dog, no questions asked at least the SSPCA are doing some homechecks, albeit only for certain types of dog.
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Anyone can go to the Dog and cat home in Edinburgh. Pick a dog, fill out a form, pay for it and take it home. As long as they can provide a driveing licence or similar. The only diffrence is, if it's a large breed ie rottie they wont home with small children.

Years ago I got a small x breed from them, took it back as I thought it had kennel cough (within the 7 days). There vet was treating it but it wasn't getting better. After a further few weeks it turned out to have cancer of the larinx! Mind you it had been pre vetted! I think that speaks for its self.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

25-01-2005, 09:09 PM
thats awful
I dont think their vet checks are very thorough, I guess they must have to check a large number of dogs and so they maybe skim over them a bit and dont spot the things they should be looking for?
What happened to the wee dog in the end and did they pay for its treatment?
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2005, 09:11 PM
I truly believed untill today they did a wonderful job but honestly the attitude of the Inspector was totally outrageous, and the future well being of the boxer was not taken into account, this bitch may be pregnant but this was`nt considered before she was rehomed. I find this deplorable, I truly hope this was an exception to the rule rather than commonplace. yvonne

"There is good and bad in everything"
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm afraid by the time they picked up on it he had to be put to sleep.
However they did offer to give me another. I did not ofcourse take them up on there kind offer said tounge in cheek
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >