Our sister sites
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2009, 05:58 PM

Humping Puppy!

Hi guys,

I know you will know the answer to this but I haven't come across it before

Dizzy has just started humping soft toys and my son Connor!

She is 18 weeks, is this normal? Can it be a sign of her coming into season? Or is it just one just one of those behaviours I need to distract from?

Thanks

Ali xx
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Hormones! Think of a randy teenager
She has no other outlet , doesn't know how to deal with all the hormonal energy so that's why she does it.
Mine use to do it to everyone who came into the house except me.
Neutering did help but if you are thinking of spaying make sure you do it sooner before it becomes a habit! I tried distraction, water spray and nothing worked, he still humps occasionally but nowhere near as before, and I got him done late at 8 months. Now I can let people into the house again
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Lol, Pepsi does exactly the same. At the min she is really horny and is following my legs around all the time haha. Its so funyn and cute but at the same time i have to be stern and tell her no. Hoping she will come out of it but my other dog didnt so im not that bothered by it. As long as she dont do it to other people in public. Altho she is starting to do it to my friends very furry dogs, she keeps standing over them and humping their heads lol
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Hi guys,

I know you will know the answer to this but I haven't come across it before

Dizzy has just started humping soft toys and my son Connor!

She is 18 weeks, is this normal? Can it be a sign of her coming into season? Or is it just one just one of those behaviours I need to distract from?

Thanks

Ali xx
Hi Ali 'humping' is normal behaviour in dogs and more usually puppies .

Puppies often get over excited when playing and in their excitement exhibit inappropriate behave like humping. People are often amused/embarrassed by the behaviour and laugh or pay attention to the puppy in some way, so the behaviour is rewarded and the puppy continues to do it often into adulthood.

It is best to either ignore the behaviour , stand up/fold your arms/turn your back on the dog/ no word no eye contact, or distract with a toy. If you do this the dog should eventually stop doing it because the behaviour is not being rewarded with attention.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by fluffymummy View Post
Hormones! Think of a randy teenager
She has no other outlet , doesn't know how to deal with all the hormonal energy so that's why she does it.
Mine use to do it to everyone who came into the house except me.
Neutering did help but if you are thinking of spaying make sure you do it sooner before it becomes a habit! I tried distraction, water spray and nothing worked, he still humps occasionally but nowhere near as before, and I got him done late at 8 months. Now I can let people into the house again
This is normal puppy behaviour, if it is unacceptable to you(which it would be to most people )

Spaying could make a difference, but probably not & spaying a pre pubescent puppy can lead to major problems afterwards.

You need not to spray her, shout etc, but distract her with a high value treat/toy etc & give her the reward when all 4 feet on the ground.

This usually does disappear in bitches faster than it does in dogs, but she might still hump other dogs-simply because it is enjoyable !
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Phew, thanks everyone I am not alone with my randy pup then

Looks like I will have to train my 10yr old in the art of distracting her then as he seems to be the object of her desires (maybe they recognise the hormone rush in each other that could be really scarey!)

Joedee UK you say not to spay a pre pubescent puppy, excuse my ignorance but does that mean she should have a season first? As she is from the Dogs Trust I have quite strict guidelines on when this should be done!

Thanks Ali xx
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Spaying can sometimes make a difference but both of my dogs were done at 6mths old , one is 17 and she is still humping away. We never paid attention to her when she done it, she just goes up stairs where the teddy is and likes to have a little romp every now and again lol
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
Spaying can sometimes make a difference but both of my dogs were done at 6mths old , one is 17 and she is still humping away. We never paid attention to her when she done it, she just goes up stairs where the teddy is and likes to have a little romp every now and again lol
Molly has never done it so this has come as a bit of a surprise. Dizzy's choice of teddy is a little unfortunate as she has selected Beau Brummie who is a football mascot teddy wearing a football kit. Unfortunately she has now humped him so much his shorts are round his ankles!! It looks hilarious but yet so wrong all at the same time!!
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
This is normal puppy behaviour, if it is unacceptable to you(which it would be to most people )

Spaying could make a difference, but probably not & spaying a pre pubescent puppy can lead to major problems afterwards.

You need not to spray her, shout etc, but distract her with a high value treat/toy etc & give her the reward when all 4 feet on the ground.

This usually does disappear in bitches faster than it does in dogs, but she might still hump other dogs-simply because it is enjoyable !
Oh I've tried everything with my boy, he was like a humping machine and would not leave guests alone! He was offered toys, treats, was not shouted at etc...dog trainer suggested water spray and it would stop him for a minute but then he'd carry on...people's legs, arms, shoulders etc. Now he only humps dogs or my friends' legs that he hasn't seen for a while
I didn't have him neutered only because of that, but that was one of the reasons.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 06:22 AM
I have 4 bitches aged from 8yrs to 5mths the older 3 are spayed and regularly "hump" each other

jeanette
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >