View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2007, 12:23 PM

Horrid rash on Greg,Any ideas? (with photos)

Has anyone ever seen a rash like this before, do you know what may have caused it??, Greg was itching alot this morning , he has flea stuff on every month so i checked him over to find this horrid rash. I called the vets and he is going it at 4.45 but wondered if anyone has seen this before, sorry the pictures are of his rude bits!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	rash1.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	3796   Click image for larger version

Name:	rash2.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	3797  
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 12:27 PM
looks like an allergy to something ? have you changed anything in his diet ? or even washing powder ?
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
looks like an allergy to something ? have you changed anything in his diet ? or even washing powder ?
No I had a good think about that, all his food is the same, washing powder the same etc. Its under his 'armpit' kind of area as well, he has been in the long grass alot recently but thats been over that last two weeks and I only noticed it this morning. Poor boy I hate it when hes ill
My OH thinks it might be from stinging nettles but I dont think hes been in any!
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Bodie got that kind of rash this time last year and has had it this year a couple of times too. Have put it down to allergy to something in the fields we walk in - grass, plantain, some other kind of plant.

I always bath the rash covered area in dilute hibiscrub a couple of times a day for a few days and seems to go away. Another useful thing is to wipe his belly with a damp cloth after coming in off walks - this will remove any pollen/allergens from his skin

The vet will no doubt will give you prednisilone to stop the itching +/- anti-biotics for the pustules. Nice quick curative in the vets eyes.

Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Munsti-Sue View Post

The vet will no doubt will give you prednisilone to stop the itching +/- anti-biotics for the pustules. Nice quick curative in the vets eyes.

Do you think I am over reacting taking him to the vets then? I just always want to do whats best for him
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 01:37 PM
It looks very similar to the rash my Tyler gets in the summer, he is allergic to grass and if I don't get his antihistimines into his system at the right time of year he starts off like that, and chews himself red raw.

If it is the same thing your vet will prescribe antihistimines and some AB's to help with the skin infection. I don't have the steroid injections for Tyler as his treatment always takes immediate effect, but I do know of some people who's dogs are on them for itchy skin.

Its always best, IMO, to take them to the vets to be on the safe side, hope everything turns out ok.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi Adele poor Greg the rash must be irritating him,it certainly looks like Urticaria (nettle rash) to bring temporary relief try applying a flannel/cloth wrung out in cold water to the sore area.
I too would go to the vet if the rash is there for more than a couple of hours otherwise the irritation will cause scratching and that can lead to a secondary bacterial infection.
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Adele4dan View Post
Do you think I am over reacting taking him to the vets then? I just always want to do whats best for him

Not at all. Best to check it out as the others say.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Agree with the others, perhaps an allergic reaction to something or even heat rash? Hope the vet manages to give him something to relieve it.
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Not long back from the vets all ok, The vet thinks its probably caused by long grass, or possibly nettles, been given some antiseptic shampoo to use twice a day on the rash, and if it carries on longer than a week we have to take him back.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >