Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 11:04 PM

Hip scores

I expect most of you have seen them ,but here is the breed mean scores for 2007/2008

http://www.bva.co.uk/public/chs/Bree...ores_-2008.pdf

Thought it may be useful for anyone thinking of buying a puppy
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 11:08 PM
As sad as I am I have it bookmarked along with last years!
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Already seen it, have you noticed that the well know crossbreed with the hybrid vigour which supposedly makes them fitter has dogs scored from 1-86, not much hybrid vigour there me thinks!!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Welshie scores far too low as well. Not everyone sends them in if they know there going to be bad.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Welshie scores far too low as well. Not everyone sends them in if they know there going to be bad.
Isn't that bad, it does make a mockery of the whole thing. I wonder how often that goes on in all breeds
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by perrodeagua View Post
Already seen it, have you noticed that the well know crossbreed with the hybrid vigour which supposedly makes them fitter has dogs scored from 1-86, not much hybrid vigour there me thinks!!
I also dont understand how they can have different scores for dogs from all the same lines ! Very confusing !
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 09:08 AM
when i had flynn done, my vet said "dont bother to send them in as they wont be good". I said "well his breeders will want to know" & the vets offered to send his breeders the plates!!!!!! What numptys, anyway i did pay the extra £25 to send them off & no the werent good, but whats the point of having a average of the best plates? im sure people are advised this all the time!!!!!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Personally I think all hips scores should go on the database, and breeders whose dogs have scored too badly, [ including too uneven ], should be passed on to the kennel club to prevent progeny being registered and/or the affected dog being removed from the breed register to put breeders off from using them or at least to let potential buyers know that a dog used for breeding should not have been if you see what I mean.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 06:58 PM
thats a bit short sighted patch! Uneven scores can be the result of an injury, and removing high scoring dogs from the smaller gene pools could see whole breeds being wiped out!

As jeff sampson (KC vet/geneticist) might say, hips are only one peice of the jigsaw, and you shouldnt throw the baby out with the bath water!
The key to improving hips is knowing what you have, and using that information to plan accordingly.
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Also I have used a male with a high score, who does produce pups with low scores, when used with low scoring bitches. Even his grandchildren and great grandchildren have low scores.

Another dog of the same breed has well below the breed average score but sadly his offspring do not have as good hipscores!!

So as has already been said even the KC genetecist warns to be careful of throwing out dogs that can help in other ways. If you just rely on hipscores you could be missing a totally different problem in a breed which would then come into being.

Yes be careful, but be sensible to! I was lucky I could look at the sire that I used and his offspring abroad on the Swedish and Finnish health results on the WWW. I suppose not every breed is as lucky as this.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >