View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 07:53 PM

Do you let your dogs play with other friendly dogs?

On our walk this evening, we came across a lovely, bouncy 2 year old golden retriever. Both dogs were on leads but I would have been more than happy to let Loki off for a game. Usually, other owners I've met are more than happy for this too, if both dogs are friendly and the dogs love it.

But these owners allowed the GR to have a sniff and get excited before yanking her away and snapping, "no" at her. They told me they are trying to discourage play.

They then told me that she doesn't always understand other dogs' signals. I'm not surprised if she isn't allowed to play. Why let her get all excited and then stop her?
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Yeah my staffs play with two gsd ex police dogs when we see them.Their owner actually invited them to play when they were pups, and even though his dogs are 14 and 16, nearly blind and stiff legged, they get really excited when they see candy and buds.Daisy and poppy my labs are not really intersted in playing with other dogs
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Yes I always let Luna play if we meet other friendly dogs.

I tend to avoid people with dogs, if I also have Bella with me, but will let Luna say hi (she's off lead, while I have Bella on lead) and then we move on...

Bella is a bit boisterous and gets jealous if Luna plays with other dogs..
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 08:03 PM
I let Ally play when she has her friends over ( )or we go somewhere to play and meet others.
It doesnt happen that often really and she isnt allowed at practice.

I think you´re right on the golden. Theres no need to get it all excited an then remove it. Its either or... imo
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Well our two little 'terrors' hvae the neighbours staffies that they see every day that they play with, out on walkes there is the farmers ESS whihc is their playmate also a lady and her Pomeranian which we see every day so yes ours play with other friendly dogs
Best wishes
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-07-2005, 08:06 PM
i have my dog off lead over the park, if i see a dog on lead then i put him on, but if the other dog is off lead then i let him have a play, the park i walk my dog in is fiat so you can see if there is a dog around, if there is a dodgy dog people norn walk the other way or put there dog on lead until passed enough to let them off again
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Yer i alwalys let oscar play with other friendly dog he just loves to play with other dogs. But sometimes we meet this old man with a cross breed dog and it alwalys tries to snap at oscar even though oscar is on lead poor oscar does not know what to do with himself as he is so daft so i cross the road now when i see this dog.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 08:09 PM
aww poor oscar.some dogs are soo ratty and spoilt.Theres 2 springers near me who go for the jugular every time we walk past their house!!Last time they did it all their neighbours came out and helped me get them off c n b, cos mine were babies and on leads and they were loose hanging around the estate!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys. I feel really sorry for her now. If they'd made it clear they didn't want to 'meet' I would have kept out of their way, but they actually approached us.
She was very sweet.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

14-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Rocky loves nothing more than to play with other dogs! So long as the other dog is friendly I let him play
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >