Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zanny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2011, 02:40 PM

Hock Brace or Splint for a large Sheltie

Hiya

I have an 8 year old Sheltie called Sparky who weighs 23kgs (he is the size a boarder collie!). Sparky also lives with Buddy and Snowy and they go on a 3-5 mile walk every week day.

About a month ago they went on a walk with their Granddad and Sparky came back unable to put any weight on his back right leg.

We took him to the vets who told us complete rest and we got painkillers for him. They thought the cruciate ligament was damaged and complete rest would hopefully sort him out. We were warned if there was no improvement Sparky could need and operation to sort it out. So he only is allowed up to the field for a poop walk!! We were given Metacam.

Last week I took him and the vets now think he has badly sprained the ligaments around the hock as Sparky is now walking rather flat footed. My mother in law and I had been looking at braces for the cruciate ligament so I asked if a brace for the hock would help Sparky out. The vet thought this was a good idea as it would immobilise but allow a tiny bit of flexibility of the hock. If Sparky was going to have to have an operation to sort his ligaments out the vet would insert a scraw/pin to stop the joint moving so hopefully the brace/splint would help a great deal and could prevent him needing an op.

So I was wondering if anyone has had any experiance or knowledge of hock braces/splints? I live in Nottingham, England so does anyone know where I can get one for him.

Hope that all makes sense!!! Look forward to your replies.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Would a bandage not help as it would give support but still allow a bit of movement.

When I did my dog first aid we learn how to bandage for a broken limb. You use a lot of cotton wool to provide thick pad and then bandage over, this does restrick movement to allow a dog with a broken limb to be moved with too much discomfort.
here is a link with pictures
http://www.petalert.com.au/faid/fa10.php
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Zanny View Post
Hiya

I have an 8 year old Sheltie called Sparky who weighs 23kgs (he is the size a boarder collie!). Sparky also lives with Buddy and Snowy and they go on a 3-5 mile walk every week day.

About a month ago they went on a walk with their Granddad and Sparky came back unable to put any weight on his back right leg.

We took him to the vets who told us complete rest and we got painkillers for him. They thought the cruciate ligament was damaged and complete rest would hopefully sort him out. We were warned if there was no improvement Sparky could need and operation to sort it out. So he only is allowed up to the field for a poop walk!! We were given Metacam.

Last week I took him and the vets now think he has badly sprained the ligaments around the hock as Sparky is now walking rather flat footed. My mother in law and I had been looking at braces for the cruciate ligament so I asked if a brace for the hock would help Sparky out. The vet thought this was a good idea as it would immobilise but allow a tiny bit of flexibility of the hock. If Sparky was going to have to have an operation to sort his ligaments out the vet would insert a scraw/pin to stop the joint moving so hopefully the brace/splint would help a great deal and could prevent him needing an op.

So I was wondering if anyone has had any experiance or knowledge of hock braces/splints? I live in Nottingham, England so does anyone know where I can get one for him.

Hope that all makes sense!!! Look forward to your replies.

http://www.orthopets.co.uk/Home.html
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 03:36 PM
They look good
Zanny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
http://www.orthopets.co.uk/Home.html
Thanks for that

I hvae been looking at those and there is also another type which goes under the foot as well.

Just not really sure which type to get!
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2011, 05:40 PM
also www.handicappedpet.net and www.handicappedpets.com
have various splints.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2011, 05:48 PM
My Willow had this happen on a walk about three weeks ago.

On Friday she had an Proximal Intertarsal Arthrodesis to fuse together the bones in the hock.

Funnily enough the vet said that it was most common in Shelties and occasionally Border Collies.

I hope that the rest helps and that you don't have to go down the surgical route.