Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Schapiro
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:29 PM

Nail Clipping

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the grooming section or the behaviour/training section, because it does deal with behaviour and not just grooming alone.

So today I tried to clip little Brogan's nails, and it just was not enjoyable for the poor boy.
The breeder told me that when she had clipped his nails, it wasn't so bad I don't know what her definition of it must be!
What happened was, as soon as I place the clippers on the nail, without even squeezing, he wiggles and squirms, which I expected. But even if I clip just the very very tip of the nail, he yelps and screams and piddles everywhere
I am wondering what I may be able to do to make it less stressful for him? I've tried holding him and having my mum clip the nails, and vise versa. Tried giving him a good treat or toy to play with, talk to him calmly, but to no avail. Could it be possible that I'm hurting him? I've clipped nails before, and our lab Jake certainly struggles through it but doesn't yelp or potty himself. Any advice would be appreciated!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Oh crikey, Dusty's fave topic! An hour and half to cut 7 of her nails, honestly. I just tell Maddy 'paw', clipclipclipclip and she's done! Dusty has always had an aversion to it since the day I brought her home.

How old is Brogan?

Best thing to do is just touch his feet, then leave him for a while, then tap on his nails with the clippers, and leave him for a while. Keep doing it 'til he lets you gently tap his nails with the clippers with no fuss. Then put the clippers over his nail, but don't cut. Keep doing this 'til he lets you comfortably, then when he is ok with that, go in for the kill!

Might take a few days, might take a few weeks at first. Best way to cut them is little and often. You will know if you have been cutting them too far, they will bleed (obviously try not to do this!). If you just take a little bit off they should be ok.

Dusty will scream before you even pick up the clippers, I have to do this whole darn procedure with her every time I cut them but she is getting a lot better. I was at the stage where i'd have to cut one per day when she was little so 7 in an hour and half is good going for us! Trouble is she does a lot of street walking so she only needs them doing very very occasionally, which makes her hate it even more as it is not something she has had a chance to get used to. If it were something I did on a regular basis for instance, she'd learn in no time that it is nothing to worry about but she gets them done probably once every 6 months if that.

Best of luck. x
Schapiro
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Aw poor you going through the procedure every time!
I will certainly give that a try.
Brogan is 4 months and 2 days today.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Schapiro View Post
Aw poor you going through the procedure every time!
I will certainly give that a try.
Brogan is 4 months and 2 days today.
Ahh still a baby, if you get him used to it now he'll be fine. Just take as little off as you can each time to keep on top of them.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Not had to do Dingo's yet but I'm sure when I do I will loose a finger or two. LOL
Desi
New Member!
Female 

13-03-2008, 09:57 AM
At his age a little and often should get him used to the idea, maybe just do one nail each day, then give him a treat after each one.
I use a dremel on mine. It is so much easier and quicker, and there are no sharp edges on the nails.
Mine now sleep while I am doing them, even the one who hates nail clippers.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Someone posted a superb video on this a while ago, using treats and clicker to encourage familiarity. I can`t remember who though.Maybe someone else can remember.
Schapiro
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the advice all, I really appreciate it. I'll take it easy and slowly with him and get him used to it. Last night my friend rubbed his belly while I clipped just a smidge off his back nails and he did just fine-not even sure if he noticed me! But again thanks much
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Perhaps his wick has been accidentally cut in the past and made it bleed. This can hurt them so it may explain why he kicks a fuss up?

It's easy to cut them too short by accident, especially on dark nails where you cannot see the wick. Did it to Marius by accident today

Random has given brilliant advice, if you peservere and train him you will get there. Good luck