Dogsey Junior

18-05-2004, 03:09 PM

Fetch

How do I teach Alfie to bring back something when I have thrown
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2004, 07:42 PM
That's a good question, and while theyre at it can anyone explain why my staffy pup is better at retreiving than either of my labs?
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2004, 07:54 PM
My Staff is brilliant at fetching too

Encouraged her to run after soft fluffy thing from pet city - something soft was the key. Did this while sitting on the floor and called her back encouragingly to me seemed to work she does it great now.

I think paitence is the key
Karen
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

18-05-2004, 08:01 PM
yeah lots of praise 'when they do' bring it back
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2004, 09:04 PM
all mine fetch a ball or toy ... not bad for lap dogs eh ? :P
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Teaching a retrieve is more difficult than it sounds. The dog has to learn several separate behavious - going to the article; picking it up; holding it; carring the object while walking; bringing it back; surrendering it.

First, always praise and reward anything that Alfie brings to you, even if it is something he should not have (eg shoes, remote control, etc.)

Start with teaching the dog to hold the article. Hand hin the ball, or whatever, with the command 'fetch'. When he takes it praise, tell him to 'give' and when he releases it praise & reward. When he is used to holding and surrendering place the article on the ground a few inches away. Tell him 'fetch', if he picks it up and turns to you heaps of praise & reward. Gradually increase the distance at which you place the artcle so that he gets used to walking with it in his mouth.

Once this is mastered then you can start throwing it a short distance. Praise & reward if he returns with it. If he chases it and starts to run off call him to you.

The food rewards can be reduced or dropped once he has the hang of it as the chase and return for you to throw it again will be reward enough.

Hope this helps. (This is for 'fun' retrieves, formal retrieves involve rather more, but happy to expand if that is what you require)
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

18-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
(This is for 'fun' retrieves, formal retrieves involve rather more, but happy to expand if that is what you require)
Please do SB so long as its no trouble! (and thanks again!!!!)
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2004, 06:27 AM
OK, formal retrieve.

What we want in a formal retrieve is for the dog to sit at heel; to wait while the article is thrown; to go out on command; to pick up the article; return to the handler; sit squarely in fron of the handler while holding the article; to surrender the article on command; to return round the handler to heel position on command.

The article used for formal retrieve is the dumbbell. This can be made of wood or plastic. It must be the correct size for the dog.

Most problems are encountered in teaching the 'hold' (it is important that, on return, the dog holds the dumbbell until commanded to'give'). The exercise is therefore taught by "backchaining" - we start with what we want the dog to do at the end of the exercise. If your dog will take the dumbell voluntarily this is a big advantage. If not you will have to teach him. It is easier if you work sitting down with the dog sitting in front of you. Gently open his mouth and place the bar of the dumbell inside with the command 'hold' Gently close his mouth over the dumbbell with your thumb on the top of the muzzle and fingers under his chin. Praise "good hold". Release his muzzle with the command 'give' Praise "good give" & reward.

This step must be repeated several times a day over several days. ALWAYS be gentle, do not stress your dog. The hold can be reinforced at mealtimes. Get your dog to hold the dumbbell for a second prior to putting his bowl down.

Initially you will be doing the hold for microseconds. Later, once your dog knows the command you can lengthen the time between 'hold' and 'give' Work up, in 5 second increments, to having him 'hold' for 30 seconds.

The next step is to place the dumbbell on the floor and encourage the dog to pick it up. Gradually increase the distance that he has to go to get it.

If you have trained the hold with your dog sitting in front you the return & present should not be a problem. If it is, draw him in front by, lead, signal, or running backwards. Reminding him all the time to 'hold'. Signal, or tell, him to sit, again reminding him to hold. Reach down with hands either side of the dumbbell and command 'give'. The dog should then release the article. Give him a lovely treat and heaps of praise.

The 'wait' prior to sending the dog out should not be introduced too quickly. Even if this is a "formal" exercise it must still be fun for your dog (having said that, the 'wait' often serves to increase excitement about the retrieve). This part of the exercise can be started once the retrieve is reliable. Have your dog in heel position. Put a thumb in his collar & tell him to 'wait'. Throw the dumbbell. Tell your dog "good wait" and reward. Give the 'fetch' command - and remember to get your thumb out of the collar!

Guess you all know the return to heel so won't bother with that.

Always give the 'fetch' command in an enthusiastic voice. I have found it best not to allow my dogs to play with the dumbbell. It is a "work" tool for them. Other people have more success if their dogs are allowed to regard it as a toy. It seems to depend on the individual dog.

That is about as brief as I can make it. Hope I've covered it all. (But bet I'll think of something I've missed as soon as I log off)
freddunn
Dogsey Junior

19-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys
Sammy
Dogsey Junior

19-05-2004, 01:08 PM
I actually think the retrieve is very easy to teach, especially if done in drive.

ALWAYS use 2 objects for training the exercise.

Load the dog up using both objects.. throw one a very short distance, give the command.. the very second the dog picks object number one up, start making a big deal out of object number 2, making fast movements with it to encourage play/prey.. as dog comes running back to you with onject number one in mouth, throw number two, give command.. pick up number one.. start over.

Same philosophy for the sport retrieve, as in teach it all with drive, by doing this, you get let problems with grip and chewiness.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >