View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-03-2014, 08:35 AM

Going from raw back to dry, I can't believe it :( would you ?

I am thinking about switching Marley back to 'hi life' dry pellets, he looks loads better on raw, less poo which is great and he has loads more energy when he eats it, and that's the thing when he decided to eat it, which is normally every other day when he's starving, I switched cause I thought he would prefire it and I don't want to make him eat something he doesn't want, and he hates eating organ in any way shape or form, I've tryed mincing 200g of liver into 2kg of meat and he still doesn't like eating it, tbh I think my keep trying to feed liver has put him of, is there a supplement that I could give so he didnt need to eat organs ?
I don't wanna take him of raw but don't wanna feed him food he doesn't like,
What would people do
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Have you tried him with 'complete' raw? Mine aren't keen on liver or kidney fed on it's own, but love their natural instinct complete dinners. They have the odd bone meal for their teeth, ribs etc.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-03-2014, 08:57 AM
I have made my own minces with small amounts of liver, if he smells even a hint he will normally reject it
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by ljru1970 View Post
Have you tried him with 'complete' raw? Mine aren't keen on liver or kidney fed on it's own, but love their natural instinct complete dinners. They have the odd bone meal for their teeth, ribs etc.
Marley did say he tried
mincing 200g of liver into 2kg of meat and he still doesn't like eating it
I've never heard of a dog who only ate every two days! (I know Gnasher on here has said she 'starved' her dog until it would accept a raw diet) but I could never do that. I want my dog to 'enjoy' her food as I enjoy mine.

I'd go with whatever keeps your dog happy and healthy and hasn't got you worried all the time.

My tiny dog gets just one frozen chicken wing a day and her other meal is kibble. But I had to cut up the wings so she wasn't getting a whole one. She definitely got fatter when eating more raw chicken. And, having boiled some up once to take the meat off because I didn't want to 're-freeze' them I'm not surprised - gawd the amount of fat swimming in that pan from about 3 wings!

She doesn't like anything that is just raw and wet. Even the chicken wings. Will only eat them frozen when she can crunch them up. Won't even eat best steak raw! She doesn't seem to like that 'having to pull at it' stuff and tries to lick it to death instead. But then I tried every type of wet food too at one time (knowing she would be kenneled and probably given that) and she would not eat any of them. Not even the pincy poncy terrine ones.

If I get a bit of steak and just blitz it in the microwave before giving it to her she will eat it - it's cooked. Same with mince - she doesn't like any raw mince but will gobble it up if it's just been blanched.

I am at the moment considering switching her back to just a good kibble for most of her diet and just keeping the small frozen chicken wing portions in the freezer for an occasional treat because I can't (and won't) do the whole weighing it all out and including this that and the other (she doesn't even want to smell offal) so worry sometimes that she might be 'missing something'.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2014, 09:45 AM
My previous dog Brownie was like this, as well. He wouldn't touch anything raw except beef and eggs. No way can you do a complete raw diet with only that.

Nothing else would he touch raw. No way to feed him a raw diet without him hating it and rejecting it. He was skinny as it was, forbid I fed him raw... he'd have been a coat rack!!

I switch brands with Nigredo because... well just because. If he doesn't seem to want it, I simply leave it out and when he gets hungry, he eats it fine. If he didn't eat it for like a day or two... I'd certainly give him something else.

I'd not starve him or "force" him to eat it. Luckily he is a Lab mix and is WAY too greedy to be hungry when there is food. I'm pretty sure I could leave out broccoli and when he got hungry he'd eat it...

My dog Nigredo loves raw. He gladly eats it each and every time. Liver, kidney, gizzard... everything (except fish, he hates fish in any form). I don't feed it because it...

A) Costs way too much at this point as he is 80 lbs and everything would have to be bought from the market.

B) Rots his teeth as he doesn't chew it worth a fudge. I guess the extra bacteria coupled with the wolfing isn't a good thing.

Frankly, I don't think they dogs LOVE their kibble... but they eat it just fine and are healthy on it. I do see a problem when a dog doesn't have a good appetite. Either they are sick or they hate what you are feeding them. I'd feed my dogs Alpo (Bakers in UK) if they seemed to really enjoy it over something healthier.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-03-2014, 09:52 AM
What type of liver are you feeding? Mine don't like ox liver or pigs liver and will only eat it if lightly fried in garlic, they love lambs liver though and scoff it down.

I wouldn't starve any dog to get it to eat the diet I chose, I would try to find ways around it and if all else failed would have no problem going back to kibble.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2014, 09:54 AM
I never leave food down. On the rare occasion she doesn't finish the half or third of a chicken wing in a sitting - I sling it out for the cats. I never leave kibble on the floor in a dish either. She gets it when she is hungry as a meal. It's rare she doesn't finish it (and sometimes even ask for more) but if it isn't gone in twenty minutes - that gets picked up too.

But if I was to take her into a neighbour's who does leave food down, even though she'd had enough and maybe just eaten - she would set about eating some of theirs too. I always ask them to pick the dish up.

And I see what is in kibble dishes left out - hair, dust, tiny dead flying insects. Oh no.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
What type of liver are you feeding? Mine don't like ox liver or pigs liver and will only eat it if lightly fried in garlic, they love lambs liver though and scoff it down.

I wouldn't starve any dog to get it to eat the diet I chose, I would try to find ways around it and if all else failed would have no problem going back to kibble.
I've tryed it all, cooked and uncooked he just can't stand it

And on the plus side, more room in the freezer for carp bait
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Will he eat liver cake? Mine don't care what sort of liver that contains. The liver is liquidised and the overwhelming smell is of garlic, they hover around the oven whenever it's cooking.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-03-2014, 10:31 AM
No he won't, I made loads up and had to give it away
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »