register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Should there be a showing class for crossbreeds in major shows?
yes 8 32.00%
no 15 60.00%
dont know 2 8.00%
other 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 10:03 AM

crossbreeds + shows

dosent happen does it?

im looking everywhere for showing shows to show my millie (springerxcollie) - i have e-mailed lots of people who come back with the same reply -' only purebreeds may enter' which i find really annoying

i want to get into showing - im showing my horse this year in-hand (i dont ride) so i would like to show my dog as well.

i think its bad that owners of crossbreeds are not encouraged to goto shows and compete because there are no classes - i personally think that they should ahve at least 1 crossbreed showing class at the major events and shows ass personally i see no problem with them competing.

does anyone agree or not???

p.s - im going to do obedience and agility but i was just intested in trying showing fro a change as its new to me
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 10:08 AM
The Crossbreed and Mongrel Club hold conformation shows. If there isn't a group in your area maybe consider starting one up?
Becky
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Whilst I voted 'yes' the problem is that a judge has no breed standard to rate them against.
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2007, 10:11 AM
You can do Fun shows and Companion dog shows, advertised in the weekly dog papers, up and down the country. The prizes are better too
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Whilst i think crossbreeds should be given the same opportunities as pedigrees it would be impossible to judge one against the other. there is no breed standard and it would boil down to the personal choice of the judge.Far too objective in my mind. The companion shows fill in the gap for those of us with crossbreeds.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2007, 10:15 AM
There are lots and lots of companion shows that non pedigree dogs can enter and they are jolly good fun. Not only can your dog be judged on it's attractiveness but also its healthy condition, demeanor as regards a waggy tail and the appeal of his eyes, even if he looks like you :smt001 . I can't see the point of having them at conformation shows as well because, as someone else has said, there is no standard to compare against.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 10:36 AM
very true - i hadnt thought of that!!

i might look into getting another dog in a couple of years - like i mentioned a while ago - id really like to get into the showing side of the dog world but cant - one of my dogs has fatty lumps on his chest and is, well, fat

lol

the other sam - has a spine injury but if she didnt have that problem id compete her

anyone want to lend me a dog for a show???
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

05-05-2007, 10:48 AM
The only problem with them competing at Shows is as the others have said there is not a breed standard to compare them too plus if they are not registered with the Kennel Club then they cannot enter shows governed by them.
Tlere are lots of companion/fun shows at which they can compete though.

If you are really keen on showing if I were you I would go along to a few local open shows and get to know the dogs and the exhibitors and who knows someone there may be someone there who needs a handler if they have more than one dog entered, plus it would let you see what is required of you when you do get a pedigree show dog of your own.

PS I voted no
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Absolutely not.

Other have made the obvious point about having no breed standard to judge crossbreeds against. This alone is enough to make an unworkable idea. Another point is how big a venue would you need to have? And how many days would the show have to be over? Most general Ch shows are big enough as it is let alone adding another large number of dogs. If this was allowed and caught on you could be having to cater for another 10,000 dogs! More judges would be needed - and who would judge them? As it stands, new judges have to take exams on the breeds they judge and have years of experience in judging and showing to judge at Ch show level. It'd be impossible.

Crossbreeds can be shown at Companion shows already so you might want to try that. The whole point of dog shows is to find the dog that comes closest to it's breeds' standard. Please let it stay that way.

Debs
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Up here in the Twilight Zone, we have local agricultural shows. They have a class for Collies, everything else goes under "Any Other Breed"

Snorri
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >