View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 02:41 PM

panicked and didn't think ( you ever done that )

Have you ever panicked without thought and made things worse...??

I got in from work last night everyone was asleep so I let the girls out for a wee whilst i put the kettle on .....all girls been they ran back indoors straight into the freedom pen we still have up ..somehow India jumped up and caught her leg in the side of the door with the hinges on and screamed !!!! she was jammed the door wouldn't move and all hell broke loose ...I managed to free her convinced we were off the vets with a broken leg as she limped and cried for ages

On reflection if i hadn't panicked i would have realised the door slides up and off and would have taken a second to free her instead of nearly breaking her leg by getting it out.........her leg isn't broken just brused but lesson learnt think before I panic
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 02:55 PM
I do things like that all the time Inca. Feel really stupid after, think to myself if only i had thought it through for just a second I would have realised ! Not to worry though, we all learn from these kind of things !

minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Yeah. It's horrible when that happens. When panic sets in, common sense and logical thinking leaks out of the other ear

Glad she's ok though x
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Aww, it's easy to say don't panic afterwards though Glad your girl is ok
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 03:36 PM
yes she is fine........can you guess now why she is the only dog I have ever insured ???

if anyone will do it India will LOL
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Yep.

We borrowed a half check from a friend when Takara was smaller (beagle size!) and she rolled over on the kitchen floor and got the chain bit caught between flagstones. (It was her who made a gap between the flag stones )

I tried to get her out, but as it became clear I couldn't undo it (and there was no buckle to take the collar off) she was getting stressed and pulling away, tightening the collar around her neck, I was getting more stressed because she was stressed and in the end we ended up stressing each other out!

Dad had took his tool box to work so we had nothing to break the chain with and I was just reaching for the scissors to cut the nylon part of the collar when mum freed her.

Yep - I've panicked many a time!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-04-2006, 03:47 PM
One time, when he was still a "big puppy", Kali came racing into the house, but got his toes stuck in the draught excluder (metal) - he was screaming, so I put my hands down to help him, whereupon he snapped, and plugged me good, right in the ball of my thumb: blood everywhere Seconds later, he freed himself and ran to hide under the table' apparently expecting a smack (biting was the only thing he used to get smacked for). It took 20 minutes to get him to crawl out: even then, he was on his guard.

He needn't have been - it was my fault, not his. I should have whipped off my teeshirt and thrown it over his head, but, of course, I didn't think about it until it was too late: he had been so frightened and sore that the desire to get him free over-rode common sense (which, IMO, isn't that common ).

Totally my own fault - I should have realized that the fear and pain might make him react in a way that wasn't his usual, but my brain must have been off on holiday. Anyway, Kali was OK, but I still have a faint mark to remind me not to be stupid!

It's easily done.

Snorri
Catmelodian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Bieng a serial procrastinator, almost all of my conscious decisions are made in a panic....
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Think it is something to do with adrenalin, the stuff that make your fingers tingle when you know you have just got away with a terrible bit of driving, or am I the only one to do that?
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 04:37 PM
No Thordell you are not the only one

When i had a young gsd we were going to sneek out for a very early morning walk so ilet him in the garden for his business and when i let him back in already on the lead ( he whines) as i turned to close the door he moved into heel position and his very long tail didn't quite make it!

The strange thing was he only let out a small yelp not unlike his walk whine so i didn't realise that the tip of his tail was in thee base door jam!
:smt078
As i turned you can imaging the scene, he is still wagging his tail and ready for the walk so the blood goes absolutely everywhere!He couldn't understand why i made him lay down in the middle of the knitchen with his tail in the air and a tablecloth wrapped around hollaring my head off and waking the entire house, he only lost the tip of the skin but they had to remove a couple of bones to get a good heal he was lucky and a very good patient but beware those with a long tail!