Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 05:46 PM

Chappie v hepatic diet.

At the moment Polly is on hepatic diet and home cooked chicken and rice with yoghurt, cottage cheese, occassional egg and bananas (in kongs) Bits of cabbage etc as well as she loves fruit and veg.

I bought a tin of chappie today to compare it to the tinned hepatic diet.

Chappie is 6 protein, oil 3, 1.5 ash, fibre .45 and 74 moisture plus the vitamins etc. It has fish bits as first ingredient then cereals then meat etc.

hepatic is protein 6.5, fat 4.2, ash 1.5 fibre 2 moisure 64
ingredients are cereals first then meat bits (chicken) oils and fats, veg, eggs and general vitamins etc.

Any comments or ideas?

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 06:00 PM
I wouldnt have thought Chappie would do any harm at all. I know when my Border had hepatitis, he wouldnt eat the Hills one, so the vet said feed him chappie!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 06:07 PM
A friend's Beardie was on the Hill's tins but wouldn't eat it went onto Chappie and never looked back.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks both----it is really financial at the moment---the diet is about £2 a tin. She is eating it OK but she doesn't have it all the time, nor will she have Chappie all the time. I'll mix and match.

She has times when she gets really confused and I think it is when her liver is not processing properly. Difficult to know as she is also totally blind and not coping brilliantly with that either.

Last time she had a marrow bone was a disaster, which is a shame as she loves them.

rune
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 06:31 PM
To be honest the hepatic diet did. nothing for Rosie & she ate it fine. If no reprisals from chappie i'd let her have it. I thought about chappie for Katie but at 6% its still high for.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2011, 07:12 PM
My mini schnauzer has liver problems and high triglycerides. Her consultant at the vet school specifically mentioned Chappie as a good choice of food.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Thanks both----it is really financial at the moment---the diet is about £2 a tin. She is eating it OK but she doesn't have it all the time, nor will she have Chappie all the time. I'll mix and match.

She has times when she gets really confused and I think it is when her liver is not processing properly. Difficult to know as she is also totally blind and not coping brilliantly with that either.

Last time she had a marrow bone was a disaster, which is a shame as she loves them.

rune
I think if she is an old girl and has several issues, then feed her what she will eat. Obviously cost comes into it too, you are right the prescription stuff is not cheap. Aktivait helps with confusion in old dogs, its not a prescription drug, perhaps that may help too?
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 07:43 PM
I would try Chappie and see if it helps. If it doesn't you can always go back to what she is having now.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I think if she is an old girl and has several issues, then feed her what she will eat. Obviously cost comes into it too, you are right the prescription stuff is not cheap. Aktivait helps with confusion in old dogs, its not a prescription drug, perhaps that may help too?
Thanks---the confusion is usually an hour or so after she has eaten something that her liver hasn't coped with but it might be worth a go anyway.

She is only 12 and 1/2 so not really 'old' as such.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Thanks---the confusion is usually an hour or so after she has eaten something that her liver hasn't coped with but it might be worth a go anyway.

She is only 12 and 1/2 so not really 'old' as such.

rune
It wont hurt her, but if its is the food/liver thing then probably wont really help. Hope she picks up very soon.