Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey that sounds like you are getting at me
I have NEVER left a dog in a car, even in cold weather I HATE cars I have a Transit van...

Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
I do get what your saying. Dogs seem to be less and less welcome at some places. In the cases of shows though, you do have a choice. There are normally creches, or you pay and enter the dog NOT FOR COMPETITION. The other choice is that you don't go to the show. There is no excuse for going to a show and leaving the dog in the car without the facilities. You have a choice. You don't go to the show in the first place. My dogs are far more important to me than winning any rossette at a show. If I can't make provisions then I don't enter the show in the first place. It's that simple.
No one is ever forced to leave a dog in a car. If they can't get in somewhere than you don't go in. My dogs are my first concern. My social life is second.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Like i've said before, I accept provisions and equipment is available to keep a car cool. Most of the idiots that are caught though at the shows leave their dogs in a car with no shading, window open an inch and they are left for hours on end. There's no excuse for it.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by bribiba View Post
Hey that sounds like you are getting at me
I have NEVER left a dog in a car, even in cold weather I HATE cars I have a Transit van...
Err. How do you figure that out. I started by saying I agree with you. I clearly stated if you have the correct provisions then it's not a problem which I read that you have.
And I spoke generally that you (people in general) always have a choice when entering shows and listed the options.
Please tell me which part I was having a go at you
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 03:28 PM
[quote=bribiba;996739] tell them to leave their dogs at home. I am as angry as you at people who leave dogs in hot cars but sometimes they don't get a choice.

if they dont have no chioce then why the hell dont they leave water with them,and shaded up the window and pick a good park spot like under a tree .we have seen dogs in cars,at critical piont and have called the police and stayed with the car,2 years ago a lady i know but dont talk to no more as she was taking her dog to the vet for a routine check up,her vet was a half hour drive like ours,when she put poor old lucy in the boot ,THE BOOT OF ALL PLACES,on the hotest day of the year,by the time she got there poor lucy was frothing at the mouth,and roasted,she died on the floor of the vet before he could do owt,from heat exhaustion,and thats why i dont talk to her no more,and the vet reported her,nothing came of it.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by bribiba View Post
I am as angry as you at people who leave dogs in hot cars but sometimes they don't get a choice.

I can`t agree with that. I have been to shows [ agility ], with my crew and the weather has been so hot that I`ve pulled out of classes altogether rather than `have no choice` but to leave all but one in my car unattended for the time it takes to get to the ring, queue, do the run, then get back to the car - it only takes a few minutes for dogs to die or become gravely ill through heat.

Its better now that I have a van set up for their comfort for which I can leave side and rear door open because of lockable crates, lockable side grate, reflective cover for the whole top and side, folding gazebo to create good shade, [ and moved to suit as the sun moves during the day ], independant fans etc etc but even with all that I still wont leave them any length of time without checking on them myself or arranging with friends to check on each others dogs when one or another is in the ring in warm weather.
On some occasions a group of us have parked together and created a `cool zone` almost joining the vehicles together with gazebo`s, reflective covers, awnings etc.

The choice is simple - to take a risk or not to take a risk.
For me if that means not going somewhere and missing out on something then I don`t go - missing out on my dogs and having them die horribly because I was selfish does not bear thinking about.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I can`t agree with that. I have been to shows [ agility ], with my crew and the weather has been so hot that I`ve pulled out of classes altogether rather than `have no choice` but to leave all but one in my car unattended for the time it takes to get to the ring, queue, do the run, then get back to the car - it only takes a few minutes for dogs to die or become gravely ill through heat.

The choice is simple - to take a risk or not to take a risk.
For me if that means not going somewhere and missing out on something then I don`t go - missing out on my dogs and having them die horribly because I was selfish does not bear thinking about.
well said(typed) i agree:
bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2007, 10:15 PM
I did not mean people at dog shows of course they have a choice..I meant people in general...everyone here is a DOG lover and we all feel the same, but you cannot all say you have never had cause to leave your dogs in a car for a few minutes be honest....
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 10:23 PM
iv never left a dog in a car unacompained no,but im not getting at you hun just things like this make me mad,yes we are all dog lovers or we wouldnt be on here,
when i take dogs in car with us we make a point of telling whom ever we going to we have them and if they say no dont bring them we dont go,there part of our family and MOST people wouldnt dream of leaving there kids to roast in a car so why there dogs ,x

so dont worry im not mad with you hun xx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 10:39 PM
I think there is a vast diff between a car and a van more so a van with AC and windows covered and fans, the two are a million miles apart, I love it when there is someone at a show on a hot day with this set up,
YOU WILL FIND ME IN THE AC VAN BETWEEN CLASSES WITH THE DOGS, anyones dogs just so long as its a good set up in the van, I hate the heat,
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 10:49 PM
We don't have benching in Ireland so you either leave the dog in the car and bring it out when the class is due, or erect your own tent or cage ringside or as close as you can get. Luckily, hot sunny days in Ireland are rare!
We had a warm day in Cork 10 days ago and this weekend is forecast to be hot with three shows scheduled (we are doing two) so I will think very carefully how I am going to keep Deccy comfortable. The crate with the cover at the ringside is favourite at the moment as even a tent with the front open will be too warm, they are used more on rainy days. Polo will be going into kennels for the weekend so he won't be in the car.
Must get a silver reflective blanket ........
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >