Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jellypop
New Member!
Female 

08-11-2017, 11:30 PM

Did my dog have a seizure? Help

Hi there,

Late last night, my (very healthy) 3 year old chihuahua/min pin mix had what I think might've been a seizure, but I'm not sure. Out of nowhere, her whole body began twitching/jerking violently. She'd especially twitch if there was any sudden movement or sound. She would try to walk, but she looked as if she was drunk (like completely hammered) and was bumping into things. She was also acting like she wasn't all there, just really staring off into space. Also, both her heart rate and breathing were abnormally slow. These symptoms lasted over an hour.

As soon as I noticed her acting off, I rushed her to the emergency vet clinic. Unfortunately, they didn't give me too many answers. They did say that they don't think that she had a seizure (I disagree), but that she looked like she might've ate something that she shouldn't have, and to just wait and see... They gave my pup IV fluids and then sent us home. As soon as we got home, she threw up a lot of unchewed dog food (may have been some of my cats food in there, as well. Not sure).

This all happened 11 hours ago and she has improved a lot. She seems to be 80% back to normal. I'm just wondering what happened to her and what might've caused it, and is it really OK to just wait and see like the emergency vet suggested?

Thanks, I appreciate it!
TasdidAlvi
New Member!
Male 

09-11-2017, 10:22 AM
If you think your dog is having a seizure, try not to panic. Witnessing a seizure can be emotionally traumatic and extremely stressful. It is important to know that your dog is not suffering while the seizure occurs.

In fact, he does not even realize it is happening (because seizures alter consciousness). The best thing you can do is to remain calm and try to keep your dog out of danger.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Your vet is doing exactly the right thing - wait and see.

One isolated seizure can be caused by anything (yes even something they have eaten that disagreed with them) which is why a responsible vet adopts the wait and see approach. If a second seizure occurs, then epilepsy is usually the cause.