Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
princessleiapup
New Member!
Female 

31-01-2017, 05:16 PM

Pup not listening

I have 10 month old female silver lab. She listens somewhat well for a puppy, but I have some concerns that can't seem to nip in the butt/get her to understand. She has a problem with knowing when it's playtime and when it's not. Whenever she is a bad girl (doing things outside, like digging holes) I confront her and she starts to run off, wagging her tail as if I'm playing with her. It turns into a cat and mouse chase and can get very frustrating. I feel bad putting her in a "time out" afterwards because I feel that she would think she's being punished for playing. Sometimes I wonder if she thinks I'm playing or if she's smarter than I give her credit for, or knows she's in trouble and is just being stubborn? What am I doing wrong and what can I change to make her realize I'm upset with her and not trying to play?

Also, my pup has a tendency to bite too hard when playing, can't seem to get her to stop that either... For example, I have two cats and she sometimes terrorizes them... My cat has scabs around his neck. Maybe she thinks the cats are toys, or is just playing too rough? I'm worried its going to a repetitive issue. I just HOPE these tendencies she has now, are just because she's a puppy. Anyone have any tips and pointers? Would much appreciate it!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2017, 05:33 PM
She's not a puppy she's an adolescent and should have already been trained out of these behaviours. When my dogs do things I don't like they get a sharp Oi which gets their attention, if they persist they are told to Stop, Enough, Leave it, depending on what they are doing. If they are being over exuberant I will run through a few commands with them to get them to focus such as sit, stay, lie down etc and then reward them with a game.
princessleiapup
New Member!
Female 

31-01-2017, 06:16 PM
oops, this is my first time raising a dog so still learning a lot! Well I worked with her on them, she got better. Just recently she's gotten progressively worse, also jumping on counters trying to get food or whatever is there.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2017, 06:37 PM
She's a teenager you need to step up her training rather than relax it. Be consistent and persistent and she will improve. Try to make her training fun too rather than it being a chore.
princessleiapup
New Member!
Female 

31-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Would you be able to recommend some ideas in making training more fun?