Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 10:14 PM

Say a little prayer for our rabbit

Our 11 year old rabbit - Poppy - is very sick and my 14 year old daughter has spent the day nursing her.

Poppy lives in an open hutch - she's free to come and go as she pleases in the garden pen however this morning my son found her lying out in the cold and wet unable to move.

We brought her indoors and cleaned her up, wrapped in her in warm blankets and phoned the vet. The vet was fully booked this morning but said if we brought her down he'd see her right away. Within 15 minutes we'd tried Poppy with a little food and she immediately perked up. I waited half an hour and phoned the vet again, his advice was just to keep an eye on her and see how she progressed during the day. He thinks she might have been frightened by something last night and had gone into shock - the cold and wet on her old bones wouldn't have helped.

Well tonight she's still fighting, every now and again she manages to stand up but she's now settled for the night sleeping in a makeshift hut in my daughter's bedroom. I don't know if she will make it through the night but she doesn't appear in any pain however if her legs have not returned to normal by the morning I know I've got to take her to the vet.

Say a little prayer for her this evening and for my daughter who has cried more tears today than she has done for a long time. She's been very brave and done everything to make her rabbit's last few hours comfortable.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 10:30 PM
What a wonderful age for a rabbit and how sad for your daughter who has had poor Poppy in her life for probably as far back as she can remember.

I'll be thinking of you all and hoping and praying that Poppy makes it through the night and remains with you all for some time to come.

Sheree x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 05:07 AM
Just read this - I hope Poppy made it through the night. Big hugs from me and mine xoxox
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 06:27 AM
Healing thoughts to poppy...big hugs to you and yours.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 07:27 AM
I hope Poppy is still with us this morning and improving. Your daughter sounds just like my daughter whom two weeks ago nursed her sick Guinea pig and syringe fed him hourly day and night to try and save him. Sadly he died in her arms and she was beside herself with grief.
(((hugs))) to you all, lots of healing vibes for poppy and please tell your daughter I think she is wonderful.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 07:51 AM
I woke up early this morning filled with dread, but there sitting looking at me with big eyes was Poppy.

The kids have just cleaned her makeshift hutch out and she's eating and drinking. She's very frail but responding well to extra TLC.

Suki this morning has washed her from nose to tail playing the nurse card very well.

Thank you for your thoughts... I don't she'll ever be strong again but she's now retired to the daughter's bedroom permanently.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Delighted she made it through
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 08:49 AM
That is good news
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 08:51 AM
That is excellent news. Just what I was hoping to hear.
bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Just read this thread and felt so sad, then as I read through I see Poppy is still with you.
You must be such a caring family to keep that rabbit alive and well all those years. I hope it all goes well for you and I will be thinking of you all.
Remember animals are precious gifts and we only get to borrow them, then when the time comes they have to go back.

Best Wishes
Fran

Originally Posted by trikeschick View Post
I woke up early this morning filled with dread, but there sitting looking at me with big eyes was Poppy.

The kids have just cleaned her makeshift hutch out and she's eating and drinking. She's very frail but responding well to extra TLC.

Suki this morning has washed her from nose to tail playing the nurse card very well.

Thank you for your thoughts... I don't she'll ever be strong again but she's now retired to the daughter's bedroom permanently.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >