View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2014, 09:11 AM
My own personal opinion is that rarely should you ever change a puppy from the food he was raised on - at least to start with. I feed raw so have no experience of alpha but am sure if you googled it you would find a stockist or could even have it delivered. The elephant in the room here is the fact that the bloating started after the change of diet - now antibiotics have been added to the equation there is the added problem of a change to the natural flora and fauna in the gut. We went through exactly what you are going through with our old boy Hal when he was a pup so my heart bleeds for you. It's your shout but I would try and get hold of some alpha and get him back on that. The vet then may need to prescribe another antibiotic to kill off all the wrong type of bugs in the gut so that once he is back on the alpha his stomach will allow the good bugs to repopulate the gut. I wish you the best of luck
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
My own personal opinion is that rarely should you ever change a puppy from the food he was raised on - at least to start with. I feed raw so have no experience of alpha but am sure if you googled it you would find a stockist or could even have it delivered. The elephant in the room here is the fact that the bloating started after the change of diet - now antibiotics have been added to the equation there is the added problem of a change to the natural flora and fauna in the gut. We went through exactly what you are going through with our old boy Hal when he was a pup so my heart bleeds for you. It's your shout but I would try and get hold of some alpha and get him back on that. The vet then may need to prescribe another antibiotic to kill off all the wrong type of bugs in the gut so that once he is back on the alpha his stomach will allow the good bugs to repopulate the gut. I wish you the best of luck
I am not sure a change of diet could be the cause of bloat, or adding AB

From my understanding bloat is related to a number of things (or that's what they think) as no real answer has been confirmed to date ...

Things that can set it off are eating to fast , exercise before feeding , predisposed to it, stress ,anxiety but these are all suspects not conformations....

I think if the poster finds it difficult to get the food the pup was on, there is no choice but to feed something else, not do I believe changing the diet has predisposed the bloat.

I think you need to work with your vet and find a feeding Patten that will suit your pup.

How often do you feed him a day, did you say how old the pup is , maybe put him on 4, 5,6 very small meals a day and spread the food around so he cant gulp it at once.

Sadly some dogs are just prone to it, hopefully this will be a one off and you can manage the situation.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2014, 09:50 AM
He will prob. be fine when he's over this bad patch. New puppies are a worry - if it's not their tums, it's behaviour problems! Let us know how he goes on.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2014, 02:04 PM
I have heard soaking the kibble increases the chances of bloat, actually. I tried hard to not soak kibble for my puppy and I used soft puppy kibble (not crunchy, no need to soak) or canned food instead. My dog is 82 lbs and is prone to bloat and has never had any problems.

Just a note, why is this puppy so unhealthy? Did he come from a reputable breeder? I would be annoyed with the breeder seeing as how the puppy has had several serious health problems in only the two weeks that I have had him.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
I am not sure a change of diet could be the cause of bloat, or adding AB

From my understanding bloat is related to a number of things (or that's what they think) as no real answer has been confirmed to date ...

Things that can set it off are eating to fast , exercise before feeding , predisposed to it, stress ,anxiety but these are all suspects not conformations....

I think if the poster finds it difficult to get the food the pup was on, there is no choice but to feed something else, not do I believe changing the diet has predisposed the bloat.

I think you need to work with your vet and find a feeding Patten that will suit your pup.

How often do you feed him a day, did you say how old the pup is , maybe put him on 4, 5,6 very small meals a day and spread the food around so he cant gulp it at once.

Sadly some dogs are just prone to it, hopefully this will be a one off and you can manage the situation.
I disagree - I think one always needs to look at the facts with digestive problems and the facts are that the pup's diet was changed and in addition was put on to ab's - both known to cause serious gut problems. I would recommend the op sourcing this alpha kibble as a matter of urgency as a starting point - just my pov but I do have a lot of experience with this particular issue.
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2014, 08:26 PM
I have a breed which is prone to bloat(Borzoi) so am always careful about diet.I use a food which is pre-expanded (Bozita) a dry food but I always put warm water on it and also give them raw beef and tripe.Always feed at least a couple of hours after exercise and then they rest for a couple of hours.I think that changing your puppys food might have set of the bloating and then being given anti-biotics disturbed the flora and fauna balance of his gut.Pro-biotics would probably help him and maybe if you gradually re-introduced his original food supplemented with cooked chicken and boiled rice,might help. I know it is nerve racking when you have a problem like this,but I think that little and often (food) and lots of rest might get him over this problem.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2