Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2014, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
I don't remember saying anything about your dog. I was sharing my personal experiences with other dogs I've had here including my own dogs.
Ahh, excuse me then. Apologies.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-04-2014, 08:20 AM
My first GSD bitch suffered from incontinence after being speyed. She had the op around 14 months old and was really poorly after it, took her a couple of weeks to recover. I felt very guilty putting her through such pain and misery.

This is the latest research on neutering, well worth a read.
Adverse Effects of Neutering, Cancer, Joint Disorders
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2014, 12:21 PM
My dog Jade is an 11 year old GSD/pitty mixed bitch. She is not spayed but how I wish she was. She has a huge problem with mammary tumors (this started when she was around 6). BTW, she also wees when she gets very happy, in her sleep, and sometimes "marks" (done male style with a cocked leg).

I'll attribute most of he behavioral problems to being removed from her mother at only 4 weeks, and spending most of her life outdoors away from proper socialization, but I think some of them might be milder if she was spayed.

My previous dog (unneutered male Lab mix) lived a long healthy life with no joint problems, heart problems, etc., and liked most dogs and people. He died of a squamous mast cell aggressive facial cancer at age 15. But he was "alpha" and extremely vicious in fights and other males LIKE him seemed to seek us out to cause trouble, resulting in several vicious and bloody fights.

I think males are healthier without the neutering, and I would not neuter unless I really thought it was needed... but if I ever own a bitch again (probably will not) I will be spaying at the appropriate age no questions asked. Mammary tumors, pyo, etc. are far too common IMO and spaying reduces these or eliminates these.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
i think you mean to say " could" there, having just lost my bitch at 13 years of age just before christmas she never had any issues with incontinence and she was spayed at 5 1/2 months of age.
thanks.

family in canada who breed and train believe totally in juvenile spaying and neutering and in 40 years never any adverse effects and many positive. main latter being there is no "hormone memory" so no gender associated behaviour.
ie neuter and spay before hormones are produced.

much easier on the dogs

sure they can be a little taller but no real harm in that.

quoting research results is pretty much a dead end as each side can produce different and conflicting results. so i go by experience of those i trust over decades.

your choice totally but no harm in that either

as i know how emotive this issue is am going now!
Lisa_jt79
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2014, 06:07 PM
I have a SBT who was done by the RSPCA before I homed her and before her first season and she has urinary incontinence, can't say it was the spaying that did it but everything I've read seems to link the two. I'd speak to your vet and see what they say
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Our dogs were spayed and neutered as adults because they were already grown when we adopted them. Callie probably significantly younger than Sophie-meaning he was around 1-2 years old at the time. She was probably about 4 or 5 years...no history so the guess is the vet judging their teeth.
Sophie had no ill effects and Callie is ridiculously healthy to begin with. The day he was neutered they said the usual...he might be sleepy, keep him from running around. He met Sophie for the first time a few hours after the surgery and played...somewhat stiffly but he played.
Then he managed to get loose out the front door, down the street only to be rescued and returned by a neighbor.
He healed as if nothing had ever happened.
Ditto for our cats. We've always had them fixed at 3-4 months with no problems.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2014, 07:19 AM
My vet will, very reluctantly, spay a bitch before her first season but only in exceptional circumstances, as he prefers to wait two to three clear months following their first season.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2014, 09:39 AM
She is in season now, having started 4 days after I cancelled the original op. So the plan is to spay as soon as is safe to.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3