Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I've only been once and had NO probs being understood. Americans would approach me in the Mall or on the pier and 'ask me to talk' so they could hear my London accent lol! There were one or two who thought I was Aussie but not because they couldn't understand me. Because of the cockney twang.
Being mistaken for an Australian is VERY common... however it is less frustrating to me when I remind myself of when my Australian Auntie came to visit us in England and a lady asked her if she was an American!

People are guessing and getting it wrong the world over!!!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2014, 07:22 PM
I have no problems understanding the odd English/British accent. I also have never encountered any American that has had problems. It's the same language and we both speak it as our mother tongue.

A few words can get lost in translation as I was baffled when someone went to make "tea" and came back with their "dinner" because I didn't realize that "tea" often meant dinner and not just the drink.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Depends what part of the country you hail from, in the Norf, dinner is at midday and tea is at 5pm'ish. Supper is a hot drink and a biscuit
In the Sarf luncheon is at midday, and dinner is around 7.30pm, they are posh so can afford afternoon tea at 3.30pm you see, then they have supper as well, which is another meal entirely
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm from darn sarf and we have dinner at midday and tea at 5-30pm
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I think its a working class thing actually Nippy, so I bet you have ancestors who were working people as opposed to people who sat around on their btms
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2014, 08:27 PM
This thread has gone from a bug to accents to mealtimes - which could lead to mealworms then back to bugs again!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-04-2014, 08:28 PM
LOL

Sorry Barry, purleeese don't hate me
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3