Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 07:19 PM

Do some owners not think?

I took the dogs down to the meadows today, there were cows in the field joining the castle grounds, but to avoid that bit there is a lane that runs past that field to the lower meadows, I was just finished the walk and was about to head up to the lane and along the road and home, and I was faced by a yellow lab, standing their on its own with its hackles up, so I'm stood there wondering what to do then a black lab appears, who was friendly, and approached the dog, luckily they got on, but I'm still wondering what to do, I can't go up the lane as the yellow lab was still there. After a while a man come up, no leads but they were his dogs, he parked on the road, let the dogs out of the car, and changed his shoes before deciding to join his dogs in the fields too.

Do some people just not think? Anything could of happened and he would not be able to stop it.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 09:11 PM
He couldnt care less if it did, happens all the time............
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 09:18 PM
We let ours out the back of the pick up, then will go back and get what we need from the front, like shot guns and things, but it's only ever where we know the area, what livestock is about, not near roads etc, and the dogs don't stray very far from us, just sniff round the truck, and the boys will pee on the tyres!

I'd never do it where there may be other dogs and in places I don't know. They stay safe in the back of the pick up/car until I/OH are ready to set off.

I wouldn't be able to live with myself, if something happens to my dogs, or anyone else's dogs & livestock etc, because of my actions.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 09:25 PM
I saw someone park next to me in the car park at the park near the UEA, and open the tailgate of their car. They gave no release command or anything and before you could blink the 2 collies were across the other side of the park! It was scary watching it and I just wondered what would happen if she had a rear collision and her tailgate flew open in an accident.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Its annoying though, its a short lane, but not that short, it can take between 3-5 mins to walk down depending on how fast you walk, and there is a blind turn in there too, so the man wouldn't of been able to see his dogs if he even parked right at the entrance of it, and tbh I'm not really sure what the yellow lab would of done if I approached it, but I think that some people would of done, I was myself wondering whether it was a lost dog when I first saw it, and people take their bikes down that lane as no bikes are allowed in the field leading from the castle grounds, so anyone could of gone near it, but the whole time the dog was there and the man wasn't it never moved, just stayed where it was staring at us with its hackles up, I have to say that dog was slighty unnerving.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I don`t really see what the problem is. Nothing happened, did it?
I assume he knew his dogs were OK round other dogs and livestock, and they did this walk a lot so he knew the area.
Why did it worry you?
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I saw someone park next to me in the car park at the park near the UEA, and open the tailgate of their car. They gave no release command or anything and before you could blink the 2 collies were across the other side of the park! It was scary watching it and I just wondered what would happen if she had a rear collision and her tailgate flew open in an accident.
Mine used to do that
They will wait now, but if they see another dog racing around the field they will run for it. I make sure I don't have the car backed onto the field now which helps loads as they can't see what's going on in their, but on the od time it does happen I'm mortified to think what's being said about me and the last thing I'd want is for my dogs to cause a problem for someone else.
If it's just getting out of the car at home though they wouldn't dare to leave the car before we've told them they can.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 11:34 AM
It worried me because I have never seen a dog stare at someone so much, he never moved and never broke that stare. And the problem is I have a dog who is being continually worked on with her fear aggression, she is great now but having a strange dog rush at her like the black lab did could of set her back and caused her to react, which could of potentially left me having to stop a dispute between two to four dogs on my own because he let his dogs loose with no supervision, people also walk aggressive dogs there because of all the open space its easier to avoid people, with him letting his dogs loose like that anything could happen.