Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2013, 08:08 PM

Vulva change in 12 year old spayed bitch

Roxy was just lying on her back, legs in the air as she often does and I noticed her vulva was more 'open' than it usually is (to my knowledge).

It's not swollen and doesn't look like a season (she's allegedly spayed!). I haven't seen it like this before, that's not to say it hasn't ever been like that.

On Sunday morning there was a damp patch on my bed with a tiny speck of brown in it, where she was lying which smelled a bit but just changed changed the bedding no problem. Hasn't happened since. Didn't think too much of it and wondered if she was slightly incontinent and was going to wait and see it if it happened again before taking her to the vet but it hasn't.

She had a full blood work done in February last year when her malignant Mast Cell Tumour was diagnosed and all was fine with her liver, kidney function etc. It was a year ago almost though and obviously things can change, especially as they age.

She was a rescue at 5 and we were going to wait and see if she had a season and if she did, she would be spayed 3 months after that but she didn't ever have a season and we'll have had her 7 years come August.

We even found what we thought was a spay scar and she was put down as spayed at the Glasgow Vet School during her consultation. She had an ultrasound to check for any cancer so if I told them she was spayed and she wasn't, they'd have told me, surely? I'm wondering if they still have her details from last year.

Everything about her is exactly the same and there are no dogs sniffing around etc to my knowledge!

She's almost 12.

Really considering a vet check just in case.

Honestly, if it's not one thing it's another just now!

Those of you with experience with bitches....any thoughts?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Oh dear, as you say, if it's not one thing it's another.

It's so difficult when you don't know for sure whether she has been spayed, but as you say, surely the scan would have revealed a uterus and they would have pointed it out to you.

So assuming that she has been spayed, pyometra and such infections can be ruled out...in any case, there would be pus and discomfort which she doesn't have. Given that she is fine in herself, and there is no obvious discharge presumably other than the little bit you found on the bed, I think that if it was me I would keep a very careful eye on it and perhaps mention it next time she is at the vet.

You will of course now be peering under her tail every five minutes, and she will develop the most enormous complex