register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Yeah unless you work very hard indeed with them, huskies have no recall, they are bred to run and run and they don't even stop if the sledge they are pulling overturns, they carry on going. People don't always know or appreciate this when they buy them for their looks without researching.Even if you work on their training they are just as liable not to come back to you. She was right to keep them onlead, its sad they can't be let off, but unless its an enclosed area you could lose them for good.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-08-2016, 03:23 PM
Afternoon everyone sounds like a good day all round for people.
Harvey the older I get the more I find stupidity and selfishness abhorrent. Some days I feel I am becoming very like my mother. Eeeek.

Joel and I had a nice day out I had £19 in clubcard vouchers so we went out to get him some more jeans none in the King's Lynn branch but he did see some smart tracksuit bottoms but not in his size, so we whizzed over to Wisbech Tesco and they had his size so he had the nice top to match to just nice for the cooler evenings when he is in Cornwall next week with Tracey and the boys.
We used Gorden's car and whizzed along with the top down and had cold frappe's in Dobbies and naughty cakes.
By the way nice pictures June.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Lynn what a lovely afternoon with Joel,hoping that somehow he gets away from the dreadful life his mother has condemned him to. Cakes as well, can't ask for much more
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Not a thing touched this morning, was scared to go out, but the dog next door has been barking non stop since early on, it some me, and it was a relief to get outside, despite my worst fears. I gave Zen an old well chewed Marrowbone that she had on the mat with her. This morning Mabs had tidied it up and it was neatly buried under a pile of shavings in the corner. Can dogs have OCD She does make me laugh with her little ways, anything slightly out of the ordinary, she is in meltdown until it goes away My big worry was that Zen would have started redesigning the big house, but nothing at all from her, she is as peculiar as her mother, only in different ways. She got a cuddle and I let her know she was a good girl
Was sunny here Lynn,put the umbrella up and some citronella candles out, and it has disappeared. Is there a Plan in place for Joel, I think ours go back in September don't they. He cant go back living in those conditions now you've got him on the right road, surely Yes geese can climb steps, the mans an
idiot
Norma hoping you are OK because hearing nasty weather reports for your part of the world.
Moyra you're going to have to lose the key to the door. Pity you haven't got the sun there and you wouldn't feel so cold
Brilliant news!! Clearly the donkeys are good for SOMETHING apart from eating Converse trainers!!! Hopefully Zen has learned her lesson - between you and the rest of the pack, I am not sure who is the most scarey!!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Good for you Lynn, having memories like that may hopefully make his mind up a bit for him.....I really hope marks job pans out
Awww Harvey, how lovely Lara and Casey got to play with their mate
TW...lovely photos as always, our swans have 5 babies, and they are getting massive. Pleased Zen gave the wood chewing a rest lol
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Yeah unless you work very hard indeed with them, huskies have no recall, they are bred to run and run and they don't even stop if the sledge they are pulling overturns, they carry on going. People don't always know or appreciate this when they buy them for their looks without researching.Even if you work on their training they are just as liable not to come back to you. She was right to keep them onlead, its sad they can't be let off, but unless its an enclosed area you could lose them for good.
Huskies and Mals are a nightmare with recall. It IS possible to train a reliable recall, but ... dare I say it ... not without a certain piece of equipment whose name I dare not mention for fear of causing WW3 to break out!!

We managed it with Hal, but then was far more wolf and far less Malamute than either Tai or Ben. Ben is very much the Malamute - aggressive with other males, bossy, dominating and intolerant of intransigence in other dogs except for himself!! Peeps honestly just do not realise that if you want to have a husky or a mal, unless you are prepared to take the extreme measures that I did, you cannot safely let them off the lead except in enclosed areas. The other alternative is of course to work them in harness, but rigs are extremely expensive and this is not always a possibility for most people.

Ben's recall incidentally now is good and reliable. It will never be akin to a collie's or an "obedience" dog - he will take his time to come to you, sniff blades of grass on the way etc. etc., but come he will.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Brilliant news!! Clearly the donkeys are good for SOMETHING apart from eating Converse trainers!!! Hopefully Zen has learned her lesson - between you and the rest of the pack, I am not sure who is the most scarey!!
Thinking about it, I think YOU are June!!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-08-2016, 04:16 PM
I don't know how you can say these things
Zen is not daft, just been doing the veg for their tea, tinned fish tonight, and heard a little yelp, they are all fast asleep but Zen woke up when she heard the fish being mashed with the Golden Paste and let it be known she had heard. She must have hearing beyond any range as non of the others has bothered. Then again, she is probably starving hungry, poor little girl, I know I was enraged yesterday and would have given her to the first person to knock on the door, but I do feel sorry that I have had to take such drastic action to tackle this pano thingy
Mabs recall is wonderful, except when she doesn't want the lead on quite yet, then she comes running, but carries on past me and I have to either rugby tackle her and get her in a headlock or try to con her by throwing a ball to Kesh, which Mabs immediately just HAS to take, and then grabbing her, but she's wise to that one, and sometimes I get The Look
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2016, 05:30 PM
I don't know how you can say these things
Zen is not daft, just been doing the veg for their tea, tinned fish tonight, and heard a little yelp, they are all fast asleep but Zen woke up when she heard the fish being mashed with the Golden Paste and let it be known she had heard. She must have hearing beyond any range as non of the others has bothered. Then again, she is probably starving hungry, poor little girl, I know I was enraged yesterday and would have given her to the first person to knock on the door, but I do feel sorry that I have had to take such drastic action to tackle this pano thingy
Mabs recall is wonderful, except when she doesn't want the lead on quite yet, then she comes running, but carries on past me and I have to either rugby tackle her and get her in a headlock or try to con her by throwing a ball to Kesh, which Mabs immediately just HAS to take, and then grabbing her, but she's wise to that one, and sometimes I get The Look
I KNOW!!! I am such a bitch but you know I love you all - even the Converse Couple!! I now have a very nifty pair of Vans so doubtless they would like to have a go at them too!!

Poor little Zen
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2016, 05:33 PM
Ben has finally been banished from our bedroom! He has blown his coat for the first time since we had him, and it was just getting ridiculous. We could hardly breathe at night for fluff so he now sleeps out on the landing with a baby gate in the open doorway so that he can see us but not drop all over the bedroom! Every now and then there is a pitiful little face squeaking through the bars ... I forgot to shut the gate this morning when I went to get the coffee. Mike had gone into the en suite loo and His Knibbs had decided to jump up on our bed!! He was swiftly booted off and outside the room, where he lay with his back to us at the top of the stairs in a total sulk!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >