Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-06-2011, 10:44 AM

Interesting conversation.

Wonder what your thoughts are ?

Spoke to my neighbour across the way who owns a Sibe this morning. We were talking about dogs in general and she mentioned that yesterday afternoon the man with two big white staffs was walking them off lead on the field thats ok except these dogs have been the cause of some trouble and are meant to be leashed at all times.

This post is not about that though it is about the fact one of them got hold of a ladies staff she was walking off lead and she started screaming because her dog was in season.

My reaction was why was she walking in the middle of the afternoon on a field well known for dog walkers with an off lead bitch in season ? My neighbour didn't get it and felt that people with dogs should keep their dogs on lead fo this reason.

We kind of agreed to disagree on that one.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 10:51 AM
so he reckons male dogs should be kept on lead and the in season female and owners can do what they like?

of course if a male is a 'sex pest' yes it should be neutered and until that time kept on a lead and occupied with something else to take their minds of it.(often these type of dogs hassle neutered and dogs not in season tho)

BUT a normal male dog that isnt over hormonal? no,no,no!! how inconsiderate of the bitches owner, for the bitch AND male dog owners letting the bitch advertise its scent everywhere and also putting the bitch in that situation!!!
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 11:00 AM
When the girls were in season i never dreamt of taking them out when other dog walkers were about, its just not fair for owners with male dogs.

The woman should have been more considerate to others imo x
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 11:12 AM
The bitches owner was asking for problems! Poor wee bitch with idiot owner
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 11:16 AM
I agree with you! What on earth was that woman thinking of?

Last week at the park there was a woman with a female dog; in fact it was Dex's girlfriend Roxie, a Tibetan Terrier. The woman told me that Roxie was 'just coming into season, but I thought I could let her off leash as there were no dogs in this part of the park'..........
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 11:17 AM
If the dogs are known to cause problems then I can see how this could be the final "nail in the coffin" here though. If the dogs had impeccable recall, no aggression issues, etc. then yes, I'd say the blame lied solely with the owner of the bitch, but if the dogs are known to be problem dogs (sorry, you didn't specify what they've done so don't know if its recall/aggression/etc issues), both parties need to take responsibility for their dogs.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks all. There have been aggression issues with these dogs that is why he has to have them leashed by rights. He was totally in the wrong on that score.

Thing is my neighbour believes all male dogs should be leashed even in parks in case there are female dogs being walked in season thats the bit that I disagreed with.

I know her sibe is always on a flexi lead he has a very high prey drive they let him off once and nearly lost him he took of after a deer. So she is sensible in that respect but for dogs that are able to be let off I felti her thoughts were wrong it should be down to the bitches owners to be responsible surely when their bitch is in season.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2011, 01:39 PM
When totts was in heat she was kept to walk when others wouldnt be there. Once came across a young man when I was walking her at night, Totts was on long line, so I brought her into my side as he came into view and turned back. He caughtup to me on the field, his dog off lead he came over to talk to me. First thing I said was she was at the end of her season. The man said aww thats fine, then started talking bout wanting to breed his dog. He left his off lead and wouldnt stop him advancing towards Totts. Came to the point where I picked Totts up and took her home. Silly person.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I was so careful when Kismet was in season, we tried to drive a distance away from the hose and then walk on lead, I even took her into toown for a bit of a break figuring all dogs in the bsy town were already pretty overloaded with stimuli and one more is unlikely to matter, plus they'd all be on lead... Even so we were approached by a lad with an offlead 'wellard staff' who after his dog started to show too much interest in Kismet and I was trying to get him to take his dog away said "It'd look cool if we had pups with wellard's strengf and your dogs wolf eyes"... I reminded him I was the one with the bitch and there would be no pitbullhusky pups here thankyou and he grabbed his boy and dragged him away. Last time we tried the town walk...

We still got two dogs come to the door for Kismet she must have particularly potent girl smell. Both big 'Pitbull types' looke Staff crossed mastiff, or staff boxers maybe? Fortunately one had a collar and I could take him home and the other had an owner searching for him when I took him out with one of Selkie's leads to see if we could find his home. I wouldn't have liked to call the dog warden for either of them.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Bit dim or thoughtless walking a bitch in season I would have thought!

I met a lady with a young Springer Spaniel bitch of 9 months old and Parker would not leave this dog's bum alone-he wouldn't stop sniffing her. The woman then mentioned she was in season! Good job Parker is neutered I thought-I have never seen a Springer x Kerry but they don't sound too appealing to me!

I said she was asking for trouble bringing the bitch out whilst in season and she said her vet said it was ok!
Yes perhaps late at night round the block but not at midday on a Saturday in a busy dog-walking area!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >