Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bordercolliemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2015, 07:47 PM

Stomach cancer

It doesn't seem that long ago i was writing on here asking for advice for my dog Blue which had just been diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy.

Unfortunately i am now asking for more advise on stomach cancer.

My beautiful border collie Blue is 12 1/2 years old now. I have noticed he has deteriorated over the last few months. He's started to swing on his back legs and has started to struggle getting up and down after he's been lying down. He had a bad tummy at the beginning of the week so i took him straight to the vets to get him checked out. She found quite a big mass in his stomach. She gave him an antibiotic and anti inflammatory which lasted two days i and took him back for a check up tonight. The mass is still there and she is 99% certain it is a cancerous tumour. She also tested his back legs by putting them on his toes but he had no reaction to place them correct.

He has stopped eating his kibble food and even turned his nose up at freshly cooked mince so we have decided to try him on wet Chappie which he enjoyed tonight (i'm not a fan of wet food) . We both decided he wouldn't cope with being opened up to check as i know i would have to make a decision so while he is happy we are making him comfortable and i'm giving him lots of love and tlc.

I'm finding it very hard to come to terms with as he looks amazing for his age and i am in complete denial.

Has anybody else had to deal with the same as i know i will have to make that decision one day. Any help or advice would be gratefully received
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2015, 08:12 PM
So sorry Julie Poor Blue(( hugs))
Thinking of the pics and the way you talk about your dogs it's pretty clear how much you love them.For what its worth I think you are doing the very best thing for him.As long as he's happy and comfortable,there's still hope and the time with him will be extra precious.Give him a kiss from Lacey and me,please xx
Bordercolliemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Thank you so much for your comforting reply. I love my dogs very much and try to do my very best for them. He looks amazing thats why i can't get my head round the fact he's so poorly.

I took these photo's tonight xx

susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2015, 08:32 PM
What a gorgeous boy Blue is xx I have no experience of coping with stomach cancer but I am sure I would be looking at things in the same way you are. I hope you have as long a time as possible with Blue and I know you will make that time as happy and comfortable for him as you can. My thoughts and good wishes are with you xx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Wow,he really is stunning.Result of the care and great life he has,no doubt,beautiful boy xx
Bordercolliemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2015, 08:57 PM
Thank you so much.

Everyday will be a special day with my handsome boy xx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2015, 09:24 PM
No experience of stomach cancer but lost all 3 Dobermanns to various cancers and all very quickly after diagnosis. All I do is get the prognosis and worst case scenario etc and make my decision based on that. With Syd my male he was as fit as a flea but had bone cancer in a front leg which could just snap while walking or running so once the xrays were done, we got the diagnosis while he was still under GA and we decided he shouldn't wake up. The other two were easier to decide because they were poorly and struggling even though it was briefly. I can't keep them going for my sake, they have to have quality of life and as long as you think he has then just keep doing what you're doing until the time comes to let go. It's never easy but you have to put them first.
Bordercolliemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2015, 09:41 PM
I had a very lengthy conversation with my vet tonight about the 'decision'. As i said to her while he can still run out of the dog flap barking at the ice cream man then i know he is happy and comfortable. The day he struggles will be the time.

It will be hard but i will be strong for him x
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Been thinking about you both today,hope you're ok xx
Bordercolliemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm so very grateful he is still here with me.

Thank you for thinking about us. Times like this us dog lovers really stick together. xxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >