Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
I understand your point ian, but i think certain words cannot be made light of because of the meaning of why these terms came about!
The same with people with a disability, its makes me sick when people joke about this

I dont walk on egg shells, ive been called, kyke, dirty jew,h because im israeli and born there i have had alot of abuse for this and for that reason alone i would never be racist as i know how it feels to have rasicm directed at me
Absolutely.. those things are totally unacceptable, there's no doubt about that. But the post was asking should we draw the line somewhere... telling Jokes about Scots English Irish whatever.... I don't think thats racist, just a bit of fun. I think theres too much over protection now ... when I was at school (not that long ago ya cheeky sods ) everyone got teased about sommat... fat guy, skinny guy, english guy, irish guy, spectacles, braces.... all sorts things... within reason it hardens you up.. it's banter.. If it's done in a nasty way then yeah thats not on ofcourse
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2007, 09:05 PM
i understand about the hardening up (watching my words here lol), and i dont like it but i dont cry either as im used to it, there is a line and i think its down to each person
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
i understand about the hardening up (watching my words here lol), and i dont like it but i dont cry either as im used to it, there is a line and i think its down to each person
Definately... as Azz said, it's a diff thing when you know someone and know whats aceptable and I guess also different people take things more or less serious. So I guess best thing is to suss people out first make sure they know your just playing and keep it friendly.....

But your all welcome to call me a Jock if ya want ... just don't slag off my Haggis.. or my knobbly knees when I'm in my kilt
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2007, 11:17 PM
People will always be differentiated on nearly any grounds, for example men with beards, women who dress and groom themselves a particular way, old people, very tall or short people, those above or below average weight...... without even touching cultural or national differences or habits.
To me, it's a very insecure person who finds it necessary to single out someone on any grounds, but at the same time I agree that government "interference" can stir up things much worse and I am not particularly PC. I treat people as equal until they disappoint me in some way either with attitudes I can't live with, or cause me deliberate offence, at which point I walk away.
It has been interesting moving to ROI with no previous experience of the place, people here are different from those I previously mixed with but not in the way they are often portrayed, and I'm having a great time. There is nothing funnier than an Irishman telling an Irish joke, which I experienced in Bray (Co Wicklow) one weekend! The ability to laugh at yourself defuses many situations. The government here is planning better integration of immigrants into Irish life so they don't feel segregated, but I have found people here to be extremely tolerant and welcoming towards newcomers from any country.
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Racism is wrong if it is used to cause harm or upset.
But i think it has gone a bit to far, When they have to change nursery rhymes because they have a wrong words in them ie Golly, Black etc. and what do you think the modern person would say if the watched the black and white minstrels show. Another good show was Love thy neighbor. you can tell time have changed, but personally I dont think these show made any one more racist.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2007, 12:42 AM
The fact that people are focusing on racism is good I think but it most certainly isn't the only form of intolerance / hate which I think gets over looked.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2007, 12:54 AM
I sometimes think the race card is played too often, like someone said positive discrimination.

I'm always poking fun at people that are different to me, be it culturally or personally. But it's always meant in fun and I always get it in return 10 fold. If it's all in fun then I have no problem with it. I'm always going on about how tight my Dad is and the fact he's part Scot! But he knows I'm only kidding, although he is tight!

Like someone said, common sense is key. Sadly some people are too keen on making a quick buck through sueing, which is probably how it all started.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Yes a few may use it as a quick buck rips, but many Black, Arabs and Asian people are turned down for jobs due to thier colour, where they are from and faith, many dont sue nor do they quick up a fuss, they just look for another job!
Remember repressing these people wasnt so long ago and it still happens!
Im not sure how to change this but i do think it really does need to change!
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-01-2007, 06:18 PM
Works in the opposite direction too though. Many people can't get a job they are qualified to do because of quotas that have to be met... has to be a certain amount of certain groups etc... that is just as wrong... people should be treated the same whether it's in a positive or negitive sense.. take the good with the bad as it were...
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Yes, I agree. Look up the definition of discrimination..... fulfilling quota's and "positive" discrimination is still - discrimination. However, what do you think of this situation...

A suitably qualified person is taken on as a temp for 6 months and does a good job. The position becomes permanent but is advertised widely in keeping with the policies of the organisation. The temp, who is looking for a permanent job, also applies.
The job is given to an internal applicant from another department with no knowledge of the job. She is also pregnant and will only be in the job 5 weeks before she goes off on maternity leave. The temp is back on the job market but is told they can come back to do the maternity cover .......
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >