Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura1980
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2009, 09:22 AM

Help - worms.

Hi everyone,

I just got a puppy Lab 2 days ago, she is almost 8 weeks old. I fed her last night just before bedtime and she was sick not long after. She was sick twice around 5am and my husband had to take her outside twice during the night where she did a poo both times. She went back to sleep and when we got up about 9 she seemed fine so I gave her breakfast as normal. She went outside for another poo just after breakfast, but she is just after having 2 lots of diarrhoea with big long worms inside. I had to pull one out of her (gross I know) and I think it was dead, but another came out and was wriggling around the floor. She seems fine now, she is lying sleeping, but I was just wondering if this is normal. She was wormed just before we got her, and the woman said we needed to do it again in 2 weeks. I haven't had a puppy for 14 years, and I was only young at the time so it was my parents it all, but I'm pretty sure this didn't happen back then. I would appreciate your advice if you have any words of wisdom for me.

Thanks
Laura
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 09:35 AM
hi congrats on your pup
all pups are born with worms they are transfered via their mum!.you should worm her once a month for six months,then up to you and your vet as to which protocol suits your lifestyle.was she wormed in the last couple of days? if she was that is why you are seeing them in her poo ( the wormer has done its job) yuk!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-06-2009, 09:36 AM
I would get her to the vets along with a sample of what is in her poo.
Panacur Liquid Guard is a fantastic wormer and safe for puppies and pregnant and lactating bitches, so maybe get some of that this weekend. You can get it off the internet, but as it is the weekend, I know Pets@Home do it, quite expensive from them, but in this case worth it
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 10:14 AM
The breeder obviously hasnt been worming the pups as she should of done if you have had her only 2 days but thats not your fault its hers.
We often has this and use panacur liquid from the vets we give them a bit every day over 3 days then afain in 2 weeks if bad.
You must get her seen asap worms carry awful diseases and can block her up, good luck.
Laura1980
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks for your fast replies. My husband rang the vet, he said it's normal, and the fact she's still being her hyper usual self means she's perfectly fine. He said feed her little and often to help kill off the worms. I have an appointment on Thursday for her first jabs anyway so I will talk more to the vet about it then. Thanks so much for your help girls, much appreciated. xx
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 10:18 AM
The breeder obviously hasnt been worming the pups as she should of done if you have had her only 2 days but thats not your fault its hers.
We often has this and use panacur liquid from the vets we give them a bit every day over 3 days then again in 2 weeks if bad.
You must get her seen asap worms carry awful diseases and can block her up, good luck.
I hate to sound awful but your vet cannot be very good if he said just feed her little and often, worms kills young puppies I see it all the time. The fact they are alive is even worse and also will be eggs hatching that worms have laid. I suggest you contact another vet asap and get some treatment hun as I promise am not being dramatic I lost 4 out of 5 springer x'x the day they came in died with such severe worms last year
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Feeding little and often will not kill worms only a good wormer will. I personally would not get her vaccinated until she is worm free and her poo's are solid because if she is having to fight off a worm infestation then being vaccinated it could cause complications and I personally would not put such a burden on a young puppy.
Becky