View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-07-2010, 03:18 PM
It is a strange culture, really strange. I've never done the "dollying" of our small dogs, I think they'd hate it? Granted they've been terriers but I seem to see JRTs as quite an accessory now.
Funny thing is too these "celeb breeds" they want often aren't anything like what a well bred specimen should be like! A lot of the hollywood chis look really oversized, and a lot of the poms look like poor chis or what we'd say is a german spitz! Really strange.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 03:33 PM
I hate this phrase and its just another encouragement of bad breeding. They are just breeding the small with the small/ runts to get the even littler size pups.

There is a guy comes to the park with a 'teacup' JRT that he is very proud of. The whole time i'm thinking they just put a flashy name to the runt of the litter and charged you more!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I have nothing against small dogs (not my cup of tea, but each to their own) but I don't like the 'culture' - if you can call it that - which seems to go with having them nowadays. I also don't like the fact that tiny dogs being carried everywhere, seems to be able to get into anywhere, but those of us with bigger dogs are barred from almost everywhere!
This is a huge pet hate of mine! It really annoys me to see places say they are dog friendly but what they really mean is lapdog friendly. Just means it take me twice as long to find anywhere to stay/visit.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I think you mean Paris Hilton Helena?

I'm one of those owners of "teacup" sized dogs, Meeka is only 8 and a half inches tall, she never reached the breed standard of 10 - 12 inches. So even at the side of Bugzy she still looks tiny..
Now most of the time I try to treat both Miniature Pinschers the same as I do the Boxer and Dobermann they get to walk in the woods, in fields etc and to get dirty if they want too.
But if we have gone out for the day and we are walking in a busy area then I will pick up Meeka and Beth will pick up Bugzy so that they do not get trodden on. They get put back down to walk when it's less crowded.
If a person who wasn't looking where they were going was to tred on Aura or Erik's paw, It might hurt them a little, it could even break one of their toes but they would most likely be ok.. If a person was to tred on Meeka or Bugzy they could quite easily break their backs/necks or kill them. So I prefer not to take the chance in busy area's.

I dont do trains or buses but if I did, then i'd probally carry Meeka and Bugzy onto those too, because of the steps, gaps to the side of the pavement etc.

Oh and at night because I let Meeka and Bugzy snuggle up on my lap, I also allow Aura and Erik to snuggle too.. after all, if I treat the little dogs like I do the big dogs most the time, then I should also allow the big dogs to be treated like the small dogs and get their cuddles too

Just my opinion from a little and big dog owner
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 03:40 PM
I wonder if i crossed my labs with a chihuhua i could call them "teacup labradors"?? Hmmm... I would be rich with that little money earner

I have nothing against small breed dogs, given that i own some!! But they should be treated like dogs, not accessories or toys. And this teacup fad is a bit of a concern, there must be health problems associated with breeding them purely to be tiny??
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 04:00 PM
A friend and (my friend is a true Essex bird but very doggy, if you know what I mean) were out walking the dogs when a pair of these painted ladies passed us and one had a small diamanted dog tucked under her arm. They both looked down their noses at our motley crew and my friend (who hadn`t had much sleep) snarled - Oh put it down, it`s not a f***in` handbag!. I nearly pmsl as their expressions.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 04:47 PM
I really hate this 'teacup' fad, it boils my blood! Little dogs are still dogs and should be treated as such.

Molly is a little dog but I would never dream of putting her in a handbag. Not only would it annoy her because she loves walking and sniffing about but she'd probably eat the bag before I could get her in it
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. I love dogs all shapes and sizes, and we've had all shapes and sizes! As a child amidst the mad staffords and docile dobes when a distinguished (i cant say old as he'd spin in his grave) creamy white pekingese, a dog my mother inherited when her mother passed away a few years before I was born..I can't buy the whole "toy dogs" like it thing, as Oliver the peke was a real dog who I think would have died of shame if he was treated like a toy! He often ran as fast as his little old legs would take him to keep up with the others, and even manage to impregnate a goldie ret/lab type bitch when out on a walk as a lady who then lived by the park just let her bitch out to wander instead of walking her, Ollie was being walked by my then teenage sisters who didn't see why the dirty old man was in the bushes for so long ..think three pups were born, they were gave to good homes, nowdays probably would charge nearing a 3 figure sum for them..even though they were flippin strange!
Anyway I digress, but it really eats me up. Teacup dogs, celeb owners,bleurgh you get a flamin dog cause you like it and it suits your lifestyle!
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2010, 05:34 PM
There was a papilion at the vets yesterday and the woman was treating it like it would break. It was barking she she was like 'aww mum's little girl isn't happy is she?'. If it were mine it would be getting told off not being praised basically!

O and it looked like a pedigree but it was the height of Blu and he is 15inches
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Mad isn't it! Now I really like paps, all the one's ive met have been fab, but they are super intelligent and not silly little playthings!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >