Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 07:51 PM

Reverse sneezing?

When Alfie was a puppy he used to do "obvious" reverse sneezing, like small whooshing noises....

Today he has been doing some bizarre breathing/coughing sound - done it 4-5 times over the evening so far!

It's almost like an erratic straining type cough sound, but when I go over and calm him, it stops.

He is breathing/eating/drinking totally same as normal, and is still acting like himself!

After youtubing a few things, it looks most like this but maybe just a little more throaty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3L4v0W2_Sw

Could it just be a different type of reverse sneezing?

When it starts you can see the panicked look in his face, but when I go and settle him, he calms and it stops!

Think it will just be that?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 10:26 PM
The video link shows classic reverse sneezing, and in some dogs it is even more pronounced.

Holding your hand gently over the nose often stops it, as does rubbing the throat.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Yeah I lift his head a bit and rub his throat and it does stop it which is what made me think it was!

The more throaty sound is more like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 12:07 AM
If it is"reverse"sneezing it is the elongated soft palate blocking the airway.

One way of pushing the soft palate back into position is to gently put fingers over the nostrils to make the dog breathe through it's mouth & at the same time gentle push the muzzle downwards
polly7
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2012, 03:29 PM
there seems to have been a spate of this in dogs lately and it could be due to the very high pollen count.
If it doesn't subside or is very frequent sometime a piriton tablet will help but as this is a forum for all types of dogs, large & small, please check with your vet for the dosage.
My new rescue greyhound recently spent the night in the vets as he had reverse sneezing but being so nervous due to his past life he got into a terrible panic attack and couldn't stop. We were unsure it was reverse sneezing as it was so severe and he was gobbling grass like a crack addict desperate for his next fix! By the time he was at vets emergency clinic he had been 'choking' for almost an hour non stop. His heart rate had shot sky high and the vet was convinced he had a bone caught in the oesophagus so he was put under GA and a camera put down. She was amazed to find all was clear except for a very sore throat due to the grass & constant heaving along with the stomach acid.
He came home next day with omeprazole but it was a week before he was relaxed again as each time he started the reverse sneeze he would start to panic again. Even cupping and my hands over his mouth & nose and gently breathing into him (same idea as a paper bag for human panic attacks) would make no difference and the only thing was to stop the reverse sneeze. Piriton managed to do that thankfully and he is now calm & relaxed once more.
he is roughly 33Kg and could take 1 tablet 3 times a day although he only needed 2 one day & 1 the following day.

It is a very frightening thing for you as well as them