Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 10:42 PM

English Bulldog... Raw feeding?

Hi all,
would just like your opinions please on feeding an English Bulldog solely on raw?
I have 7 Bulldogs (Alapaha, and American) that are raw fed, and at the moment my English Bulldog is fed dried only (Beta) as this is what she was fed when we bought her and I have never changed her diet yet. I do prefer raw feeding, and would like to feed my English Bulldog raw. Can anyone speak from experience as to feeding this breed raw?

I will be grateful for any replies, opinions or advice, thank you.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Sorry, I forgot to say she is 10 months old.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't see why the breed would be less suited to raw. The only thing I'd say is perhaps a breed's slight proneness to allergies, don't know if English Bulldogs are, but then again, any dog can have an allergy or intolerance to certain foods. I would start to introduce bits of raw one at a time and see how she gets on with it.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 10:03 AM
dont think it makes much of a difference on breed, but just a question, can they eat the bones the same as other breeds with them havinga squishy face just curious really, dont how they tackle eating bones and things. but other than that i dont see why it would be a problem, just introduce it slowly.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Like any breed with the same jaw configuration eg Boxer etc, they can eat raw perfectly well.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Thank you for your replies. I think I was also more curious about them eating with such a small windpipe and muzzle :/ Think I'm going to try her out slowly, 1 thing I know for sure is it's a lot less mess to clean up!!
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2011, 01:43 AM
i`ve always fed young puppies raw , while they were youngsters i always bashed up chicken wings , necks , thighs etc with a steak tenderiser/hammer in a clear plastic bag if i were unsure they would get through it which you could try doing first to get her used to chewing the consistency of it. you could always buy you`re own mincer if unsure which can be purchased cheaply on ebay.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Good idea Dooley, will do that. Thank you.
lilyben
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2011, 01:09 PM
hi ,i have a 9 month bulldog who has raw,i started on chicken wings but did i did bash the bones in them because she tends to gulp quick,then i added chicken backs which she loves,now she has all chicken,beef,liver,heart,ive yet to add other meats yet but im taking it slowly,she also has bio yoghurt mixed with cottage cheese she enjoys that ,i add apple cider vinegar to that because she wont drink her water with it in it,the odd banana and 3 eggs a week,im still learning about this way of feeding but have to admit given her amount of scratching when on kibble ,its been the best move as the scratching is all but gone,a lot of bullys have skin allergies and i think its down to kibble but unfortunatly a lot of bully owners wont raw feed,the only problem ive encountered is constipation but im holding back on the bones and adding a bit of veg
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by lilyben View Post
hi ,i have a 9 month bulldog who has raw,i started on chicken wings but did i did bash the bones in them because she tends to gulp quick,then i added chicken backs which she loves,now she has all chicken,beef,liver,heart,ive yet to add other meats yet but im taking it slowly,she also has bio yoghurt mixed with cottage cheese she enjoys that ,i add apple cider vinegar to that because she wont drink her water with it in it,the odd banana and 3 eggs a week,im still learning about this way of feeding but have to admit given her amount of scratching when on kibble ,its been the best move as the scratching is all but gone,a lot of bullys have skin allergies and i think its down to kibble but unfortunatly a lot of bully owners wont raw feed,the only problem ive encountered is constipation but im holding back on the bones and adding a bit of veg
sounds like your doing everything right id love a bulldog one day! definately post some pictures in the pictures section!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >