View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 08:28 PM
I know of 2 dogs that have got/had parvo this year....one a 3yr black cocker spaniel who is fine but had all his injections and stilll got it and the other was a very ill shihtzu who was white/grey colour he died at 9mths old He was immunised as well.

Off subject slightly but i groom dogs and i noticed this year that i had probabley 5ish dogs bought to me and found ticks on them and everyone of them was white or mainly white..... i did wonder if white dogs are more likely to suffer problems with ticks as all owners when told said there dogs where always picking them up.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
they are both black and tan gsd's this is where it gets confusing
yes it does - I am sure a(t) is present in GSDs but they would be the more solid coloured ones with cream/gold/ginger/tan markings.

Many GSDs from what I can gather, are a different gene a(y) but with a black "saddle" gene, which is termed 'black and tan' but may not be the same gene as Black & tan (as in Rotties etc) ....if that makes sense!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 08:49 PM
i understand what you are saying ( i think )

and it can get confusing but whats confusing me is why does xeva need 3 vaccs and ty only got 2 last year when he restarted his vaccination course (my bad i missed a year )

is it because of her age (she will be 10 weeks when she gets her 2nd vaccs) where as ty was an adult ( 5 years when he restarted) but then surely if parvo affects black and tan dogs more ty should have still had 3 vaccs.

when i speak to my vet on tuesday i will find out what she is being vaccinated against in her second vaccine and if she is being vaccinated against parvo with her second vaccination then why would she need a 3rd
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Short answer, yes. Black and tan dogs succumb more easily, and are slower or less likely to recover.

As to why your adult 5 year old dog only had to have 2 after missing one year of vaccines vs your puppy needing three, its because your adult didn't need to restart the series at all! The vaccines after the first year booster don't need to be boostered but every 3 years. (most studies show the vaccines are stiff effective in most dogs 7 years later) so your vet was just trying to bilk money out of you I'm afriad.

But I do think your puppy needs a series of 3. We give all pups a series of three here, as Parvo is so wickedly common.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Short answer, yes. Black and tan dogs succumb more easily, and are slower or less likely to recover.

As to why your adult 5 year old dog only had to have 2 after missing one year of vaccines vs your puppy needing three, its because your adult didn't need to restart the series at all! The vaccines after the first year booster don't need to be boostered but every 3 years. (most studies show the vaccines are stiff effective in most dogs 7 years later) so your vet was just trying to bilk money out of you I'm afriad.

But I do think your puppy needs a series of 3. We give all pups a series of three here, as Parvo is so wickedly common.
thank you very much xxx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 06:34 PM
The only GSDs that are truly Black & Tan are the Bi-colours & there only a very few around.

The Bi-colours have never been a popular colour in GSDs for some reason. Most GSDs are gold/tan/red & black. A bi-colour GSD has the same markings as the Rottweiler & Dobermann.

The only way to tell if a dog needs vaccinating is for the dog to be Titre tested & simply vaccinating because the dog is a certain colour is load of male cow poop.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 07:43 PM
How interesting, I've never heard about this before If your vet is concerned about the Parvo for good reason by the sound of it, then why oh why oh why don't they do a specific parvo jab (which they don't over here!) Even a parvo and just one other disease would be more favourable than having to give the whole darn lot again imo!

Parvo was my main concern with having my annual boosters when my puppy was a year old, and although my vet tried everywhere to obtain just a parvo/distemper jab which was the recommended first year annual booster, she said it was nowhere to be had, so we had to go for the full works again.

When I did lots and lots of research into these jabs, it was often said, because of the mother's immunization up to 12 weeks and sometimes when you get the first ones done they might not have taken, it was advised to get that third one done before 6 months old, have you thought about doing that? Have you read about this in your research into jabs?
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 10:18 PM
helena i have read about that in my research and according to my vet this 3rd jab is just for parvo, bus i will double check this when i go in on tuesday
Jess Searle
New Member!
Female 

06-08-2012, 10:36 AM
The parvo black & tan link has been known for years. I had my Gordon Setter checked for Parvo antibody titre in 1984 after 2 jabs and she had very little and was not covered for Parvo.
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Well you certainly learn a lot on Dogsy! I have had Gordon setters for almost thirty years and had no idea they were more prone to parvo
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >