Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Monica28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-12-2013, 08:45 AM

My friend's foster dog is "dog aggressive"

Hello everyone! I need some advice. My friend who also does fostering and dog rescue recently saved a pit bull from the shelter. Now, this pit bull is the sweetest girl in the world. She loves people, children, and cats. Her only problem is, when she got her home from the shelter, she noticed her aggression towards the other dogs in her home. This dog attacked her Rottweiler (and this was after they had been slowly introduced over a period of days.) The dog lunges at her dogs from the glass door, being inside or outside. The only advise I could give her was to hire a trainer to work with the dog. Any other advise? She is devastated, and does not want this dog to be sent back to the shelter.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Hi I have problems,but mine see's things or hears things,but she will barge to the door,though there is nothing there and if you interfere,she becomes very aggresive to who ever trys to stop her,its like Jeckyl and Hyde.Well my daughter in law has over 20 cats,and she uses this plug in,which releases synthetic epho (sorry cant spell)and it really works.So we got in touch and asked if there was one for dogs,they sent us one,and we have it on in the hall after a week or so,she is calmer and not so reactive,from all the blurb,it seems sometimes when a dog feels scared,they try to get in first and there behaviour becomes over the top,this synthetic produces the smell of the bitch that the pup would recognise and it calms.Its worth giving it a go Gemini54
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2013, 09:34 AM
I know you don't want to hear it but I have had dog aggressive dogs and I always vowed if they were aggressive towards my other dogs they would not stay, luckily they loved my others so it was just a problem meeting dogs outside.
I think you have to put your own dogs first and look at their safety and happiness.

So personally I ask the shelter to take him back.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2013, 10:25 AM
The dog isn't really the sweetest girl in the world is she? Not if she is selective about who or what she gets on with.

I admire anyone rescuing dogs in need but this dog has already attacked one of her own dogs (the sort of thing that could cause problems with the victim dog for ages afterwards in some cases) it would be a no brainer for me where my own dog's safety (or my family or other peoples') was concerned. The dog would be going back to where it came from and me giving them a full and detailed report of the problems with it.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-12-2013, 11:24 AM
I have to agree with Julie and Pat here sorry if I already had dogs she would be going back to the rescue and them being told under no circumstances can she be rehomed with other dogs and she needs to be on lead at all times and possibly muzzled near other dogs on walks.
I would not risk my dogs safety or their stress levels and hers as she is clearly stressed by her situation.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-12-2013, 12:24 PM
For me, my golden rule is you have to get on with the resident dogs, if they let you in, you better be grateful or you can't stay. I'll deal with everything else but the resident dogs have to come first. I don't expect exemplary behaviour but a modicum of restraint is essential for it to work.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2013, 01:26 PM
I just can't imagine me doing (or persisting in doing) anything that would upset pets I've already taken on the responsibility for. Not just because their temperaments might change and they'd be unhappy (who wants to live with unhappy animals - or unhappy people for that matter!) but especially if it's been proven that it is putting them at risk of physical harm too.

I don't care how many people think EVERY dog can be rehabilitated given the right training and therapy. Or how many clever behaviourists there are out there. I just would not want my existing animal(s) to have their lives upset. Not to mention having to constantly watch the culprit or walk about with them tied to you all day, muzzling them or keep crating or segregating them and all that.

I've owned animals all my life because I love them. I get great enjoyment and pleasure from having a pet and I hope it's always mutual for me and the pet(s). One of my greatest pleasures is walking my dog. I love it. For me there wouldn't be any enjoyment in taking an aggressive dog out and just hoping and praying you I see no other dogs.

If someone with no other pets and no children and who has the time, perseverance and money to take on an aggressive dog and try to rehabilitate it or accept that their life will never be the same again is willing to do so - all well and good. That someone will never be me. There are far too many non aggressive, sociable and lovely dogs in the world for me to want one of the other kind.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
The dog isn't really the sweetest girl in the world is she? Not if she is selective about who or what she gets on with.

I admire anyone rescuing dogs in need but this dog has already attacked one of her own dogs (the sort of thing that could cause problems with the victim dog for ages afterwards in some cases) it would be a no brainer for me where my own dog's safety (or my family or other peoples') was concerned. The dog would be going back to where it came from and me giving them a full and detailed report of the problems with it.
I totally agree with what Tang has said above. How can your friend possibly live with a dog that could/would attack hers. Even if she attempts to keep them separate at the moment accidents do happen. This dog would be far better rehomed without resident dogs. The dog in question is probably really stressed anyway just being around other dogs.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Monica28 View Post
Hello everyone! I need some advice. My friend who also does fostering and dog rescue recently saved a pit bull from the shelter. Now, this pit bull is the sweetest girl in the world. She loves people, children, and cats. Her only problem is, when she got her home from the shelter, she noticed her aggression towards the other dogs in her home. This dog attacked her Rottweiler (and this was after they had been slowly introduced over a period of days.) The dog lunges at her dogs from the glass door, being inside or outside. The only advise I could give her was to hire a trainer to work with the dog. Any other advise? She is devastated, and does not want this dog to be sent back to the shelter.
I'm afraid this dog would be going back to the shelter, as horrible as it may be, your friend should be putting the welfare of her resident dogs first, it can't be good for her own dogs to have to cope with an aggressive dog in their home where
It was once calm.

Sadly hood intentions don't always work out and as others have already stated, my resident dogs take priority over any other.
Monica28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2013, 01:29 AM
Thank you all for your advise. I talked to her today and she said that the dog is being kenneled in the back room until she can figure out what to do. She has been trying to adopt her out to someone that doesn't have other dogs, but nobody will adopt a "dog aggressive" dog. Guess you can't blame them! She spoke to the shelter and they told her that if she brought the dog back, that she would be unadoptable and euthanized. That is why she doesn't have the heart to bring her back. Between a rock and a hard place.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >