Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 09:25 AM

Swine Flu and Dogs

Sorry if this has been done before, i cant see it.

But does anyone know if this swine flu can be passed onto our pets? We have 4 people off work here with it and although i dont have any of the symptoms (im trying to quarentine myself in my little office away from everyone ) it would be good to know that if you do pick it up whether you should have only minimal contact with your dogs?

Anyone know anything about this??
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 10:12 AM
hi
looked at a couple of websites and all say no not at the mon unless the virus mutates.
I would would worry bout rats hou coz they can catch human colds
Hope this helps
ATD x
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
hi
looked at a couple of websites and all say no not at the mon unless the virus mutates.
I would would worry bout rats hou coz they can catch human colds
Hope this helps
ATD x

Hmmm... So can parrots so i'd best be careful around my birdies if i start to get pig flu

Thanks for the reply!
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2009, 12:16 PM
The websites I've looked on say no to dogs and cats due to the way their immune system is made up. I've spent a couple of evenings "googling" this very subject. I've also read that so far there have been no reported cases of pets having swine flu.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2009, 02:19 PM
According to my doctor, No dogs and cats can not get swine flu. ( I actually asked him as I was worried about my lil min pins catching it off me.)
He says the only animal likely to be affected by swine flu is pigs.. humans can pass it to pigs which is why some farm parks are not allowing humans to come into contact with their rare breed pigs.