Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blackthorns
New Member!
Female 

09-09-2016, 02:24 AM

Heya

I'm new to just about all of this.
I grew up keeping dogs and animals of all kinds, but I always took it for granted-Feed dogs dog chow, walk them, let them outside three times a day. If the dog misbehaves, yell at them, shove their nose in any mess they make, etc.
However around five years ago I got my dog, who has been a complete god send (and I'm not even religious). Due to personal things happening at that time, he never got "trained" in my dads method, and I was barely 11 at the time with little to no training experience.
So now I have a 5 1\2 year old dog with poor habits and barely sits on command. Hes some kind of terrier mix, likely with rat or toy fox in him, but I'm not entirely sure (he was a rescue).
I'm planning on taking him to dog lessons once I pass my drivers test, but that doesn't help his diet, or any other care I've never properly learned.
Basically I'm lost and need help.
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Takes a lot to admit that something needs to change I applaud you for that.
What is his personality like in general? Is he food orientated? High energy?
Blackthorns
New Member!
Female 

09-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by CrazyDogLady View Post
Takes a lot to admit that something needs to change I applaud you for that.
What is his personality like in general? Is he food orientated? High energy?
Thank you. (if that's an appropriate response?)
Well he's very sweet, first of all. He likes to cuddle and give kisses, and while he's shy of new people, he does warm up to them pretty fast (although he clings to me like no other).
He has two modes-couch potato and full tilt. When he gets excited he has endless energy and gets hyper and runs around the house in a giant circle lap (our floor plan provideds him a circle to run from the kitchen to the dinning room and into the family room.. And then back into the kitchen). So he's either really lazy and cuddly or he's spazzy and has too much energy. He's heavily food motivated- I mean he goes crazy for anything presented as food (even a small piece of lettuce).
Toys can sometimes motivate him. But overall food is much more successful
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2016, 10:45 AM
Welcome, there should be plenty of good advice here. Ask your questions in the relevant sections and look out for the answers from the long standing members.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Hello and welcome
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2016, 07:29 AM
Hello welcome to the forum, I know how you feel about it. Do you ask this situation to your vet? What kind of food you give to your dog?
I think it sound's like your dog is not getting enough nutrients from his food.
I want to share some interesting article this is one of my favorite because It's been very useful and helpful to me here exoticonlinepetstore hope you find some good information there too.