Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gillbox
New Member!
Female 

17-09-2006, 08:40 PM

diarrhoea (again!)

Hi folks, i have a 18 month boxer boy who has loose stools every time we go out a walk. It doesn't matter if i go long walks, short walks, on lead, off lead one walk or 6 walks a day he always manages to produce! If i keep him in for the day his stools will usually be ok.

We have been to the vets so often i should have a loyalty card. He has had every test (except a biopsy) all came back ok. He is feed on Burns fish and is underweight.

Do you think it is just the excitment of going a walk? or does he have a condition? never thought id get this obessed over poooh!

Any experiences, thoughts comments will be gratefully received.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-09-2006, 08:45 PM
My two are the same, the further into the walk the runnier they get. Not sure if its excitement or them getting a bit hot but when we get back home everything gets back to normal again
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

17-09-2006, 08:52 PM
my boxer used to be the same although he wasn't underweight he was quite a big dog and was as fit as a fiddle and lived to be 13. The squits were just an ongoing thing.
Meg
Supervisor

17-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Yes I too have noticed this with a number of dogs and came to this conclusion.

When a dog defecates 'at home' he is going to relieve himself When a dog is out walking he may defecate partly for the purposes of scenting/marking and the poo therefore contains more fluid from the anal gland. Also the dog has been stimulated to defecate by exercise and stiffing the deposits of other dogs, therefore the poo is more 'forced' and of a different consistence to that which is produced at home
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Have no theories on why (am new to this game!) but Tigger does exactly the same thing.

I dread trying to pick up his last attempt on our walks as usually Im scooping it instead of picking it up.
:smt090