Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 03:35 PM

the perfect recall?

hi guys, i seem to be having trouble with Indies recall.
She just doesnt wanna know. Ive tried tempting her with treats and toys etc. and shes ok coming to me in the house. but outside... she doesnt listen.
We tried her off the lead, for the first time today. In a massive field. but she ran straight off back towards the car, luckily i managed to catch her jus b4 she got to the road! it was a long run i tell ya! she didnt even look back. i tried runnin in other direction etc. but she didnt care.

I didnt expect her to run back! i thought shed go forward as we were pretty closed off and thought she'd worry about being left.

How can i train a perfect recall?
I practise recall with her everyday. On walks i use a stretchy lead to call her back on, im constantly training it at home.
But how can i make it more effective?
Ive seen people letting their dogs off lead, some same age as indie and they r very well behaved.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 04:06 PM
does she go to any training classes Jenny?
Most suggest taking either a favourite toy (which is supposed to be kept for special occasions) or a really yummy treat. Although treats wont work with Libby either when we're out.
She usually follows Gus but if she sees another shes off like a shot if we dont spot it first and put her back on lead.
Have you tried changing the pitch of your voice when you call her- sometimes that works ?
Also dont chase her if possible as she will think its a game. Try running in the opposite direction and see if that works .
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 04:13 PM
yeh, she goes to training classes.
she will recall at the classes

have tried her fave toy and treats.. but on a walk.. its another story.. she doesnt wanna know.
And today... i didnt have much chance to run in other direction. i started to, but she was out of sight b4 i knew it and she didnt look back. she was just gone! panicked the hell out of me incase she ran into the road!!!
I have tried different tone of voice. but that doesnt do anythin
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 04:16 PM
yeh, she goes to training classes.
she will recall at the classes
same here

Libby races off like a whippet - once shes had a sniff she charges straight back - we have to keep her attention all the time
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 04:26 PM
how old is libby? jus seen her photos? shes is gorgeous.

no one with staffies on here live near me!!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 04:30 PM
shes 5 months old today - where do you live Jenny?
Im in the Wirral
are you planning on showing Indie at all?
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2004, 04:33 PM
The one thing I've learnt is that there is no such thing as the perfect recall.

Do you clicker train at your class? I have found that Dharma's recall is very good now we clicker train. Before she was a nightmare to get back, now she's pretty reliable. The other thing we've done is bought a whistle. For dogs with poor attention, like our Dharma , it can really help. Now we use the whistle to grab her attention and call her to come.

A big thing to remember (which we're still getting the hang of) is to make yourself more tempting than whatever is distracting her. Playing with one of her favourite toys in view of her can help. Dont call her in a deep/stern voice, as she wont want to come. Call in a mad silly happy way (flapping your arms and jumping about helps - it might get you stared at but it does work!). And praise praise praise! C/T if you use clicker. Major rewards for coming - the best game ever, or a "jackpot" of treats.

Another thing is - when do you recall? Do you only call her when it's time to go back onlead and playtime is over? If so, you're like I was What she's thinking is "Why should I go back when it means its the end of the fun - if I run away or stay here, I can carry on playing". Get her used to being called back for a good play - a ragknot is a good idea for that, or a fetch game. Teach her that come doesnt necessarily mean come home. At irregular intervals (try not to build too much of a pattern), call her to you, clip her lead on, walk her a couple of paces then unclip her and let her off again. Keeping her guessing will make you more interesting and tempting to return to.

I can't think of anything else, but if you clicker train I can go and have a look in my Morgan Spector book to see the "proper" method. Hope that helps.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 04:41 PM
i was told on champ dogs to let max off on his first day out i was horrified as thought i would lose him being only 11 weeks! but i have to say it worked like they said it would. he was nervous of all the new things so he stuck with me. I have had no problems so far as he straight away got into the habit of playing getting recalled getting a treat and playing again. he is now 4 months and i can let him off with no problem but i do realise when he goes through his kevin phase it could all change. I always recall him loads of times during a play session and just treat him so he doesnt know when i am going to put him on the lead and end his fun. we are now down to a treat every other recall and he just has to come incase there is a tasty treat on offer! stick at it she will improve
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2004, 04:45 PM
yeh, have started clicker training with her. altho im not sure how its meant to be used with a recall? as u wudnt click til she got to u?
have tried a whistle in the past... but i lost it.. should get another one.. altho she didnt always pay attention. i used to only recall when i was bringing her back in from garden. but have tried to train her out of it by playing instead. and when i wanted her back in id just silently go. hasnt cjhanged anything.. she still wont come in from garden! and hides under this kids slide thing if i go get her!!

any tips on the clicker training wud be good tho
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

28-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Rocky didnt do recall on his first off-lead day either! instead he thought it was a game and ran off! lol

I then did what Bon suggested, run off in the opposite direction and thats helped! I find a 'safe' spot and then when he runs off I sneak and hide and I can see him thinkig *wheres he gone!!!* and when he finds me he is soo happy! thing is now he is like my shadow and keeps an eye on me all the time lol.

I'd park somwhere safe and take her where she cant get out, or use a very long lead untill you're certain she wont run off.. and then practise!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >